Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

ABout extracting data

prakashatutd
8 - Asteroid

Hello:

What is the best way to read / convert data in this csv file (with , delimiter). 

Thanks

10 REPLIES 10
apathetichell
19 - Altair

Why can't you use an input data/csv/comma delimited? after brining in - you should turn date of delivery into a date field - use datetimeadd("1899-12-31",[Date of SDelivery],"days") - note that might be "1900-01-01" - I can't remember which one Alteryx uses.

Bren_Spill
12 - Quasar

@prakashatutd - see attached, including @apathetichell's date conversion. Thanks!

prakashatutd
8 - Asteroid

I did use Comma delimiter.

I refreshed the configuration

But the output still had just same one column

I can do this in Excel easily --

prakashatutd
8 - Asteroid

Yes, This worked.

I was thinking that this would not require any tool -- This assumption was based on the only example I learned in the class that used the following file. It did not require any additional tools. 

Curious as to why?

Bren_Spill
12 - Quasar

@prakashatutd - in the input configuration, try changing 9 - Ignore Delimiters in to None

image.png

KGT
11 - Bolide

One thing to add to this. If those are excel dates, you will need to use "1899-12-30" as the date in the formula. the Alteryx DateTimeAdd formula adds to a date and the excel number is meant to be the number counting up from "1900-01-01".

So, to use the datetimeadd, you need to move the date back one to 1899-12-31 to then count up.

But then, you need to account for the bug in excel that they can't fix because it's been there too long. Excel thinks 1900 was a leap year when in fact it wasn't (every 4, except every 100, except every 400), so you need to move the date back another one to "1899-12-30".

To verify, try putting a couple of 29th feb dates in to excel. 1904 will be a date, 1900 will be a date, 1903 will stay as general. However, there was no 29th feb in 1900.

prakashatutd
8 - Asteroid

This solution worked! Many Thanks. 

This time, I have a .txt file. (attached) -- wondering if yo uhave any suggestions as to how to convert this into a dataset. I will appreciate it. Thanks!

Bren_Spill
12 - Quasar

@prakashatutd - can you please mark your original question as resolved?

LindonB
11 - Bolide

@prakashatutd, when you select you file, just indicate that it is a tab separated text file type. It is the same as putting \t in the delimiter on option 5 of the input tool. See below.
Community1294877(A).PNG

Polls
We’re dying to get your help in determining what the new profile picture frame should be this Halloween. Cast your vote and help us haunt the Community with the best spooky character.
Don’t ghost us—pick your favorite now!
Labels