Important Community update: The process for changing your account details was updated on June 25th. Learn how this impacts your Community experience and the actions we suggest you take to secure your account here.

Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #407: Single Biggest Lottery Winner

AYXAcademy
Alteryx
Alteryx

Maveryx_WC_Banner.png

Hi Maveryx team, Happy New Year!

A solution to last week’s challenge can be found here.

lotto-lottery-ticket-bill-profit-preview.jpgI hope you all had a wonderful holiday season. Are you ready to dive into a new year of weekly challenges? In December, we tackled some complex spatial problems, macros, and advanced tools. To start the year, we will go a little bit easier on you. Who is up for feeling like a lottery winner?

You have a dataset that provides details of the winners of a lottery from November 3, 1996, to October 27, 2018. In this lottery, players select 6 numbers, and the objective is to match all 6 numbers to win.

Your tasks:

1. During this period, how many times was there just one winner (matched 6 out of 6 numbers) who claimed the entire accumulated jackpot?
  2. Identify the date and the highest jackpot amount ever won by a single winner who matched 6 out of 6 numbers.

Hint: The dataset is from a lottery in Brazil, and the numeric punctuation is different from what is used in the United States. Portuguese uses a period to separate thousands (for example, 2.367.900 = 2,367,900) and it uses a comma to mark the decimal place (for example, 1,5 = 1.5). Be sure to convert the winning amount for a US-based audience.

Good luck, Maveryx!

Source: Adapted and translated from https://www.kaggle.com/code/lidialucena/mega-sena.

alacoume
8 - Asteroid

My solution:

Spoiler
Challenge_407.jpg
alexnajm
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@AYXAcademy I would upload the .yxzp to make it easier for everyone, plus for consistency!

Otherwise perfectly fine challenge once the prompt was understood 😊

Spoiler
Challenge 407.png
RolandSchubert
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula
Spoiler
407.jpg
ggruccio
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Fun way to start the year!

Spoiler
If I understood the first question (or data) then I get to 364 times.  Then finding the highest is simply a matter of Sort and Sample tools.

407.png
ARussell34
8 - Asteroid

Great first challenge of the new year!

AR_407.png

PhilipMannering
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Solution attached.

Spoiler
image.png
Kenda