Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #208: COVIZ-19

AYXAcademy
Alteryx
Alteryx

A solution to last week’s challenge can be found hereDNA Carousel Image.png

This week - let's do an interesting viz! We have sourced the RNA sequencing of SARS-CoV-2 (which is responsible for COVID-19) and would like to put it into a gridded visualization.

Since RNA is made of up the base pairs of G,T,A, and C, your visualization should have four colors. When creating the grid, try to order the sequencing from left to right: For example, the first base pairs are A-T-T-A. Make sure that A is row 1 column 1, T is row 1 column 2, and so on...

Make note of how many columns make up a row or what colors you select are entirely up to you (our solution has 178 columns)!

If you want to take it a step further, let's see if you can create something new entirely!

Data sourced from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/nuccore/MN908947.3

Inspired by:
https://www.reddit.com/r/dataisbeautiful/comments/fkwova/oc_rna_sequence_of_covid19_this_8kb_of_data...

patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

I went for a black and white pattern

Spoiler
patrick_digan_0-1584985128182.png

johnemery
11 - Bolide

Took me a few tries to land on this solution. Glad to see that my thought process matched @patrick_digan's excellent first solution.

Spoiler
Weekly Challenge 95 (the apple one) helped here.
The .4 mile grid was found iteratively: it provides the nearest larger number of grids than we have rows in the tokenized data set.

Capture.PNGPicture.PNG

https://youtu.be/lxCS3vs1Bwk 

Aaron_Harter
11 - Bolide

Certainly a topical weekly challenge:

Spoiler
1.PNG
PhilipMannering
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Stuck indoors is a good time learn some Python

Spoiler
outputoutputworkflowworkflow

CodeCode

RolandSchubert
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

I have chosen a slightly different (and relatively simple) approach.

Spoiler
208_result.png
Spoiler
208_workflow.png
RWvanLeeuwen
11 - Bolide

As a molecular biologist, I think that this is a good challenge to get to know Alteryx and reporting but it holds no additional value.

Result in Alteryx

Spoiler
208 Alteryx.jpg

Result in Tableau

Spoiler
208 Tableau.png

Workflow:

Spoiler
208 workflow.jpg
JennyMartin
9 - Comet
Kenda
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula
Spoiler
Annotation 2020-03-24 085510.pngAnnotation 2020-03-24 085546.png

  

TonyA
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

My solution attached. Went a different route from most of the other solutions I've seen.

Spoiler
I tried the grid approach and it worked but seemed to take a long time (15 seconds or so). So I went for brute force and this runs in two seconds or less.Still can't figure out why the grid approach was slower but I saw the same thing when I downloaded some of the other solutions.

2020-03-24_7-40-33.png