Check out the Inspire breakout session catalog! From inspiring stories about business transformation to analytics best practices, our breakout sessions have something for everyone.  

Inspire | Buzz

Ask questions, connect with other conference attendees, and share your experience.

Maximizing your trip to Denver - tips from a local

clmc9601
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

Hey Alteryx community,

I'm so excited to meet you all in Denver next week! I've lived in the Denver area for 15 years and thought I'd share some tips for making the most of your time here.

1. Drink water!

So much water. Due to the dry air and altitude, we need to drink extra water. Officially, it's healthy to drink 3-4 liters (~120 fl oz) of water per day. Bonus points if you use a reusable water bottle during your trip! In the words of the young people...

clmc9601_0-1652138870609.png

(this is a common phrase to put on stickers for reusable water bottles)

Dehydration can make you more susceptible to altitude sickness: nausea, dizziness, and pounding headaches, among the milder symptoms. Believe me, experiencing Colorado is much better when you're hydrated and free of altitude sickness.

2. Sun protection

The Mile High City is a mile closer to the sun than many other places. When combined with our thin air, it's is a recipe for sunburn and skin/eye damage. Use sunscreen liberally (50+ SPF is a good idea), reapply it regularly, and wear hats and sunglasses when outdoors. For context, I get sunburned when I'm outside without sun protection for >10 continuous minutes when the UV index is >6, and my skin is already accustomed to this weather. During Inspire, the UV index is definitely going to be >6 for most hours of the day.

3. Other tips

- use hand lotion and lip balm on dry skin, including in your nose

- carry tissues in case of spontaneous nosebleeds (thank you, dry air)

- bring clothing layers. It will be cold in the morning/evening and hot in the afternoon, often swinging 40°F in a single day

- want to hike? Use AllTrails to get ideas and check difficulty level

- look for the recycle and compost guides at restaurants:

clmc9601_1-1652140119643.png

- check out 5280.com and other sites for more tips

4. Explore the outdoors

The best way to experience Colorado is to explore our beautiful outdoors. Here are some classic spots if you have access to a car:

North of Denver

- Rocky Mountain National Park, especially if you take Peak to Peak Scenic Byway between Boulder and Estes Park

- Hiking at NCAR in Boulder (here's one of many hikes in the area). There are buses that run between Denver and Boulder, which can help if you don't have a car. Google Maps is great at navigating the RTD buses.

- Red Rocks Amphitheatre - for watching the sunrise, just visiting, or seeing a concert. Concerts here are often a bucket list item!

South of Denver

- Garden of the Gods

- Pikes Peak

- Manitou Cliff Dwellings

- Paint Mines

Indoor and outdoor activities in Denver

- according to Denver.org

- according to a travel blog

- according to Timeout.com

Safe travels and see you soon!

6 REPLIES 6
clmc9601
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

Feel free to add more tips and recommendations in the comments!

Samanthaj_hughes
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Thank you so much Claire. I'm like packing so much more stuff now and bringing sickness tablets. 😉

See you soon!! I arrive Sunday!

#Alteryxrocks
mbarone
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

This is great @clmc9601 !   I wish I'd be there; but I'm sure I'll get there for some kind of Alteryx event eventually!

FCCMac
7 - Meteor

I can second Garden of the Gods for anyone who has a few extra hours to kill; a bit of a drive, but it's so beautiful!

Shifty
12 - Quasar

Awesome and very thoughtful post. Thanks, @clmc9601!  I can second the hydration recommendation having had altitude sickness twice in Breckenridge! 😂

apathetichell
18 - Pollux

The title of this thread needs to be changed to "tips from a Grand Prix champion..."