General Discussions

Discuss any topics that are not product-specific here.
SOLVED

Who says you can't learn inside?!

TuvyL
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi Friends!

I think we can all agree that these past few days have been a bit crazy! How are you staying sane? I've been cleaning/cooking/texting/facetiming, and adding as much structure to my day as I can. It's amazing what putting on real clothes will do, even if I'm not planning on leaving the house.

While chatting with ACEs all around the world, one of the topics that kept popping up was kids. Since many schools have closed for the rest of the month (and might be even longer), the question I keep hearing is "What am I supposed to do with my kids while they're home and I am working?!"

Well, as per usual, our ACEs shared A TON of resources for learning, lesson plans, games, puzzles, etc. I don't have kids myself, but I do have nieces, and you bet I'll be sending these to my sister! She's home with a very hyper 4 year old and an endlessly curious 6 year old. Thank you to ACEs below who shared these awesome resources!

Hope everyone stays strong out (or in?) there and please post your favorite social distancing resources/tips/tricks below, while still #neverstoplearning 🙂

@HeatherMHarris' picks:

• A great curated reading list for ages 12-18 by her son's former librarian. She was a huge influence on his love of reading. 
  • "Infinite Flight" iPad app to teach the kids about flying dynamics... And that is what is responsible for her son developing his passion in flying and now being part of Civil Air Patrol and having flown an airplane at age 13... how amazing is he?!!
  • Type to Learn:  is a great online program for young kids learning to type
  • You can give them a bunch of recyclables as a Makerspace... And teach them some Design Thinking where they have to design something for another kiddo based on their requirements... My son's third grade class had to design lunch boxes for one another from recyclables based on what the other person wanted... Early Design Thinking! (I can't hear "design thinking" or "design patterns" without thinking of @SteveA@SteveA, do you have any ideas to add?
  • iCivics and BrainPOP - great learning sites for elementary age

@NicoleJohnson's picks:

• If you haven’t seen Storyline YouTube, she discovered it yesterday and it’s EXCELLENT for little kids
  • If you were at Inspire in Anaheim in 2018, you'll remember Jane McGonigal, our guest keynote speaker, NYT best-seller, "world-renowned designer of alternate reality games — or, games that are designed to improve real lives and solve real problems" aka superwoman. Jane's launched a stay-at-home scavenger hunt!

@estherb47's picks: 

I'm sure @Samanthaj_hughes@patrick_digan@dataMack, & @rafalolbert will have more goodness to share 😉 And for added inspiration: here's my nieces, Katherine & Charlotte aka Chuck reading (though I'm sure Chuck is just pretending)

Le Kovach KidsLe Kovach Kids

Tuvy Le
Manager, Community ACE Program
12 REPLIES 12
TuvyL
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@huynv96 I am...did my name give it away?

Tuvy Le
Manager, Community ACE Program
huynv96
9 - Comet

Yess. You're manager at Alteryx. So impress!

MaddieJ
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Radiolab recently curated a list of their kid-friendly podcast episodes! Perfect to better sort through their amazing library of content to find ones you can listen to with kids in the room.

They also started a new series called "Dispatch" and episode 1 in the series is all about numbers! If only there was a community of people who love numbers and data that we could recommend this to....

Thanks to @MKosmicki for the Dispatch recommendation on Twitter!

MaddieJ_0-1587155628753.png

Labels