General Discussions

Discuss any topics that are not product-specific here.

Advent of Code 2020 - BaseA Style (Day 8)

Jean-Balteryx
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Discussion thread for day 8 of the Advent of Code : https://adventofcode.com/2020/day/8

20 REPLIES 20
AkimasaKajitani
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Day 8!

Part 1 is simple, but Part 2 is too slow to search the result.

Part 1 is an Iterative macro and Part 2 is a Batch macro.

Spoiler
After the getting the stars, I improved the workflow a little.

Workflow:
AkimasaKajitani_0-1607439390512.png

Iterative Macro:

AkimasaKajitani_1-1607439415210.png

Batch Macro:
AkimasaKajitani_2-1607439429339.png

As anonymous user #1105310

patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor
Spoiler
Iterative for the first part and then just duplicated the data for the second part so that way it's pretty fast still (4.4 seconds for parts 1 and 2). Similar to intcode last year, I just stuff the input into a single long string with everything spaced appropriately so that I can get objects based on position. I was using a lot of macro outputs to debug...
patrick_digan_0-1607441410340.png

patrick_digan_1-1607441430219.png

NedHarding
7 - Meteor

I was very happy that I managed to solve it without any macros!  They are such a pain to debug, if you can avoid them its always good.

Spoiler
NedHarding_0-1607441544693.png

https://github.com/NedHarding/Advent2020/blob/main/Day8.yxmd

Balders
11 - Bolide

@NedHarding you're a madman but those multi row formulas are excellent.

Greg_Murray
12 - Quasar

Part 2 was tough for me. I ended up rebuilding and simplifying my initial iterative macro in order to solve part 2.

Spoiler
Greg_Murray_0-1607445574705.png

iterative

Greg_Murray_1-1607445622038.png

Batch

Greg_Murray_2-1607445688873.png

cgoodman3
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar

Solved part 2 without needing to do it with a batch macro by generating the rows for each of the 300 versions of the model input that are needed.

Same concept for the iterative macro for both parts, just a small tweak on part B so it exits when a solution is found.

Spoiler
cgoodman3_0-1607447244450.png

Macro for Part B with the break when total records < records in previous step i.e. a solution has been found.

cgoodman3_1-1607447369707.png

Chris
Check out my collaboration with fellow ACE Joshua Burkhow at AlterTricks.com
Aguisande
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Sorry, no head for part 2 today.

Spoiler
aguisande_0-1607449118582.png
aguisande_1-1607449159109.png

patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Just for fun, I can generate rows and then do most all of the work in 1 formula tool using the Alteryx Abacus (non-BaseA). It's pretty fast.

patrick_digan_0-1607453377647.png

patrick_digan_1-1607453451872.png

NicoleJohnson
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

I DID IT!! I figured out how to do this one without macros!!!!! Now to be fair, I solved it the hard & painful iterative-macro-within-an-iterative-macro way last night when I was trying to get stars... but then I spent all night not sleeping thinking there had to be a better way, and lo and behold, IT WORKED. 

First solution (runs both parts in 30+ minutes, + Iterative Macro Inception):

Spoiler
Relatively simple workflow, relatively un-simple macros... though the first time I've used the automatic text input tool for AoC, courtesy of @NedHarding - thank you for the instructions/macro for this magical input option, Ned!! Day8.JPG
Part 1 macro (which is also used in the Part 2 macro) - I'm not even sure at this point what it is doing, but has something to do with updating the value & the next instruction number for each iteration. And probably some extraneous inputs that are no longer needed... it was like 11:30pm by the time I finished, and I never want to see this thing again.
Day8_Macro1.JPG
Part 2 macro, which will run the selected jmp/noc replacements through the Part 1 macro. Took about a half hour to run on my server - was shaping up to take 5 or 6 times that long on my laptop. I made it an iterative macro because it was slow and I wanted it to stop running the first time it ran into a scenario where it completed, rather than running ALL scenarios, potentially unnecessarily. I sort of hate this solution... but it worked, so there's that.
Day8_Macro2.JPG

   

Second solution (Runs both parts in ~26 seconds + NO MACROS):

Spoiler
By combining the instructions into a single standardized pattern and then using a goofy but quite functional Substring+RegEx_Replace Multi-Row Formula, this ended up being extremely efficient and so much simpler to understand (and modify in future challenges, probably) than the macro-inception route above! I think I could make this work for running Part 1 & 2 at the same time with some tweaks to the post Multi-Row tool logic, a la Ned's approach that I see is sans macro as well - the Multi-Row formula tool is exactly the same for both parts, with the exception of grouping by Batch ID in Part 2. 

Day8_NoMacros.JPG

Is BootCode the new Intcode? BRING IT ON.

Cheers!!

NJ

https://github.com/AlteryxNJ/AdventOfCode_2020

estherb47
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Definitely not winning tool golf here. And I love @NicoleJohnson 's method of putting the row skipping and accumulator into one tool. For my brain, worked better in 2 multirows. Plus I added another multirow tool to see if codes repeated because I hated that the unique tool sorted the data and then I had to sort again to get back into order.

23.1 seconds. No macros. Take that, Intcode nightmares!!!  Part 1 only took .7 seconds, which amazed me.

Credit goes to @patrick_digan 's method of concatenating and replacing pieces of code from last year. Worked like a charm.

Spoiler
EstherB47_0-1607480687133.png

Labels