Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.

Urgent: Chained App Not Working in Alteryx Gallery

Rihan_Mohamed
8 - Asteroid

I have created an Alteryx Chained App that works perfectly in Designer but fails when uploaded to the Alteryx Gallery. This is an urgent issue, and I would appreciate any assistance. Below is an overview of the app's workflow:

App1: Writes the output to Result1.yxdb.

App2: Contains the XML script of two Alteryx Apps in two containers. Based on the selection, the output is written and later referred to as App4.

App3: Calls App4, but since the file writing is problematic, a dummy App was created.

App4: This app should run, but it only works in Designer, not in the Gallery.

Can anyone help me resolve this issue? Thank you!

6 REPLIES 6
fmvizcaino
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hey @Rihan_Mohamed ,

Could you please share the error message you are getting?

Best,

Fernando Vizcaino

Rihan_Mohamed
8 - Asteroid

I'm not getting any error. After running App3, App4 which is the output from the App2 is not working as a chained app in gallery but it is working on designer.

For the gallery workflows to work till App3 the output changes which i have made in gallery workflows is, for all the outputs are pointed to the path ( %temp%..\filename.yxdb)
Attaching the gallery version workflows for your reference

Yongcan
8 - Asteroid

I had similar issue and you should be aware that on gallery each app with it's own staging folder, while on designer the current working directory is same one. 

With that said, is App3 not able to read Result1.yxdb?  the workaround is you read in Result1.yxdb and output to Result1.yxdb again so App3 could get it. ( given the staging folder concept here, the file generated could be copied to next app's staging folder)

---------------------------------------

App1: Writes the output to Result1.yxdb.

App2: Contains the XML script of two Alteryx Apps in two containers. Based on the selection, the output is written and later referred to as App4.

App3: Calls App4, but since the file writing is problematic, a dummy App was created.

App4: This app should run, but it only works in Designer, not in the Gallery.

apathetichell
19 - Altair

I do not believe you can dow that you are trying to do on Server - and I believe it is purposeful. I built something like this - and Server does not support cyclical app (app 1-> app2 -> app3 -> app1 (version 2) etc) workflows. I believe they view it as a "security provision" but it sounds like manure to me. I was exploring using APIs instead (

apathetichell
19 - Altair

Having said that - your app2 is wrong. It will not work on your designer as configured. I get that you are porting over ideas from another workflow - but in order to fix this on Server - if it did work - you would need to know how your workflow works - and your App2 is wrong.

@fmvizcaino - did you open this - I'm sure you can identify in like ten seconds why App2 would never work on Designer. 

fmvizcaino
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Thanks for the trust, @apathetichell . But it took way longer than that. 😂

@Rihan_Mohamed ,

The reason why your app4 is not running is that you have to package it and send it with all the other apps before. I understand you are creating the app4 on the fly, but sending a 'sample' of app4 will tell the server that there is still an app to be executed.

But then you will face another issue related to the temp folders if I`m not mistaken. Let me know if you are still pursuing this solution and I will see if I can troubleshoot it.

Best,

Fernando Vizcaino