Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.

Scheduled Workflow - Potential Output Conflict

bertal34
8 - Asteroid

I would like to schedule a workflow to run daily.  The last step of workflow will Output Data and overwrite a .yxdb file stored on network drive.  My question is what happens if a user is running a workflow using this same yxdb file WHILE the daily process is running?  Will this be a conflict causing the gallery process to fail?  Other ramifications?

Any thoughts are appreciated!!

3 REPLIES 3
DataInvestigator007
6 - Meteoroid

Append results file name either with user ID or timestamp. 

for ex: <ResultsFileName><TimeStamp>.yxdb or <ResultsFileName><UserID>.yxdb. 

This can potentially avoid rewriting the results file when 2 processes are running on server and producing a results file which is stored on Network Drive. 

--Amar.

bertal34
8 - Asteroid

Appending a timestamp is not an option in order to avoid having to update Inputs using this datasource.  I don't understand the rest of your response.

joshuaburkhow
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Yes this will cause an error. I built a quick sample to show you that if you have the YXDB file open while you are trying to write to it you'll see this 🙂

2020-01-03 15_46_14-Alteryx Designer x64 - 02 Join_data_from_multiple_sources.yxmd_.png

Now having said that if you have two people running a workflow then it will only error if they are open at the same exact time which is possible but if that's a concern, you should create a different file/folder to mitigate this 🙂

Hope this helps! If this does please mark it as resolved so that others can see it in the community!

Thanks

Joshua

Joshua Burkhow - Alteryx Ace | Global Alteryx Architect @PwC | Blogger @ AlterTricks