Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.

SMTP setup through Gallery or workflow event

Eliot_with_cat
7 - Meteor

Hi All,

Since we can configure email either within workflow event or with the Alteryx gallery setting, what is the difference?

If I configure both, will the workflow event being override by the gallery setting if I run the workflow in gallery.

Thanks. 

11 REPLIES 11
afv2688
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Hello @Eliot_with_cat ,

As far as I know, the smtp settings on the gallery are to receive notifications from the server itself, like workflows added to a collection you are part of for example:

https://help.alteryx.com/20204/server/configure-smtp-gallery-notifications

The other ones that you talk about are workflow specific.

Regards

fmvizcaino
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hey @Eliot_with_cat ,

With the workflow events, you will be able to send an email depending on a workflow status (before run, after run, run with error, run without error) and the notifications are as @afv2688 mentioned.

You won't be overriding anything, each one serves a different purpose.

Best,

Fernando Vizcaino

bertal34
9 - Comet

Does SMTP have to be configured by server admin in the system settings in order for workflow email events to work?

Ariharan
11 - Bolide

Hi @Eliot_with_cat 

Alteryx gallery setting:

If you want you/your business user wants to receive mail like this, "The workflow is shared with you by XXXX" & "The collection is shared with you" Etc.,

Workflow event:

Workflow event configuration will not conflict with the System setting value. If you want to receive the mail from your particular workflow before run, after run, run with error, run without error you can configure it in the event.

Hi @bertal34 , 

Yes, the server admins need to configure the SMTP details in the system setting. 

The SMTP screen has configuration options for enabling SMTP. The information on the SMTP page is required for the Server to send email notifications for various events, such as registering your Gallery account, changing your password, or sharing a workflow. Visit Configure SMTP for steps to set up SMTP (https://help.alteryx.com/20204/server/configure-smtp-gallery-notifications)

Let me know if this helps and please mark it as a solution if so.

Regards, 

Ariharan.R

bertal34
9 - Comet

@Ariharan my understanding is that when a workflow is run in Designer, workflow event emails should still send regardless of whether the SMTP is enabled/configured in Gallery (system settings).  Is that correct, or must SMTP be configured in Gallery in order for Designer event emails to send??

Ariharan
11 - Bolide

Hi @bertal34 , 

I have disabled the SMTP configuration in Alteryx the system setting and run the workflow from Alteryx designer with an Email tool and Event configuration. It was working fine. 

While disabling the system setting it clearly mentioned that "Email notification from Gallery will be disabled". So this will not make any impact on the Local designer event/Email configuration. 

Ariharan_1-1666361788646.png

Ariharan_0-1666361627513.png

Let me know if this helps and please mark it as a solution if so.

Regards, 

Ariharan R

bertal34
9 - Comet

Hi @Ariharan,

Thank you for verifying, that is also what I thought.

The problem I am having is I keep getting the error below.  I have the proper SMTP and Port in the after run wf event.  Any advice on what might need to be changed for this error "Failure when receiving data from the peer"?

bertal34_0-1666366624247.png

Ariharan
11 - Bolide

Hi @bertal34 , 

The "Failure when receiving the data from peer" error will occur when your system is not able to communicate with the SMTP server which you provide over configuration. 

Can you please type the hostname/IP of the SMTP server in the Email SMTP and see if it works?

Before that, the communication should be enabled from your machine to the SMTP server (If you are running your workflow from Locally).

How do I test my SMTP server?

• Type cmd in the Start menu search field and select Command Prompt from the results.
  • At the command prompt enter telnet <mail server IP> 25
  • Check the response.

Ariharan_0-1666367334938.png

Regards, 

Ariharan.R

bertal34
9 - Comet

Hi,

I typed the smtp server name and port into the workflow email event and ran a simple workflow.  Still getting the Failure message.

Here is the msg about telnet:

bertal34_0-1666375414574.png