Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.

Run Command - Excel Macro from Server

claireburnip
5 - Atom

Hi,

so I have a number of workflows that writes to excel, within the excel docs there's formatting to make a nice report and then I would save to PDF and send out.

I want to remove all manual effort and use the run command to kick off an excel macro which updates the data and saves a PDF report. I have created a run command following the example in the below link and all works great on my desk top however when I save this to my gallery and run on the server, Alteryx updates the excel but then hangs.

We have also wrote a powershell script to do the same with an error log that reads:

PS>TerminatingError(New-Object): "Retrieving the COM class factory for component with CLSID {00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000} failed due to the following error: 80040154 Class not registered (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80040154 (REGDB_E_CLASSNOTREG))."

Would excel need to be installed on the server machine to enable this workflow to complete or am I missing something else?

https://www.theinformationlab.co.uk/2020/04/14/triggering-excel-macros-from-the-comfort-of-your-alte...

2 REPLIES 2
DavidP
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @claireburnip 

Yes, you'd need Excel installed on your server in order for the Run Command to be able to execute the VB script.

HenryGD
5 - Atom

Have you found a solution yet? I am running into the same issue for a similar process. The Excel macro runs from designer, but it does not work from my gallery or via the Scheduler.