Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.
SOLVED

Private Gallery log files

TramT
6 - Meteoroid

We've changed the Gallery logging directory on our server to write to a directory on the D: drive.

It looks like the log files are being written to this location as expected, however when file rotation happens as the logs hit a certain size (around 10MB), the 'full' file ends up in C:\Windows\System32\ for some reason.
e.g.
[alteryx-2018-02-13.csv] is located in D:\Alteryx_wk\Gallery\Logs\ and contains the latest log entries; but
[alteryx-2018-02-13.0.csv] (10MB in size, containing log entries previous to those in the above file) is located in C:\Windows\System32\

Is there a config setting we can update to fix this?

We're on version 10.1

This is causing the C: drive to fill up as it's been set up to have less storage capacity than the D: drive.

3 REPLIES 3
lepome
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@TramT

One possibility would be to modify Windows Settings for default Storage locations.  (I have Windows10, so I access those settings by typing "Settings" in the Windows search box at the bottom left of my desktop.  Then I select System, then Storage, and under More storage settings, Change where new content is saved.  You can set the default location for new documents to your D: drive.) Your 'full' log files might not end up in the directory where you want them, but if they save to the D: instead of to the C:, that would be a step in the right direction.

Version 10.1 is quite old and is no longer listed as supported on the documentation page, so please look into upgrading to a more recent version. 

Lisa LePome
Principal Support Engineer -- Knowledge Management Coach
Alteryx, Inc.
TramT
6 - Meteoroid

Thanks for the suggestion, Lisa. We'll look into it as a work around.

In regards to the upgrade - that's another battle altogether...

lepome
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@TramT

Other tweaks you can try would be to set the rollover file size larger or to reduce or turn off the logging until you have a definite need for the logs.  That wouldn't solve the problem, but it would reduce the frequency with which you need to manually maintain your drive space.  

I understand the resistance to upgrading, but that would likely fix the problem entirely.  It would also facilitate support if other issues arise in the future.  It's a goal to work towards.

Lisa LePome
Principal Support Engineer -- Knowledge Management Coach
Alteryx, Inc.