Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.
SOLVED

Private Gallery log files

TramT
6 - Meteoroid

We've changed the Gallery logging directory on our server to write to a directory on the D: drive.

It looks like the log files are being written to this location as expected, however when file rotation happens as the logs hit a certain size (around 10MB), the 'full' file ends up in C:\Windows\System32\ for some reason.
e.g.
[alteryx-2018-02-13.csv] is located in D:\Alteryx_wk\Gallery\Logs\ and contains the latest log entries; but
[alteryx-2018-02-13.0.csv] (10MB in size, containing log entries previous to those in the above file) is located in C:\Windows\System32\

Is there a config setting we can update to fix this?

We're on version 10.1

This is causing the C: drive to fill up as it's been set up to have less storage capacity than the D: drive.

3 REPLIES 3
lepome
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@TramT

One possibility would be to modify Windows Settings for default Storage locations.  (I have Windows10, so I access those settings by typing "Settings" in the Windows search box at the bottom left of my desktop.  Then I select System, then Storage, and under More storage settings, Change where new content is saved.  You can set the default location for new documents to your D: drive.) Your 'full' log files might not end up in the directory where you want them, but if they save to the D: instead of to the C:, that would be a step in the right direction.

Version 10.1 is quite old and is no longer listed as supported on the documentation page, so please look into upgrading to a more recent version. 

Lisa LePome
Principal Support Engineer -- Knowledge Management Coach
Alteryx, Inc.
TramT
6 - Meteoroid

Thanks for the suggestion, Lisa. We'll look into it as a work around.

In regards to the upgrade - that's another battle altogether...

lepome
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@TramT

Other tweaks you can try would be to set the rollover file size larger or to reduce or turn off the logging until you have a definite need for the logs.  That wouldn't solve the problem, but it would reduce the frequency with which you need to manually maintain your drive space.  

I understand the resistance to upgrading, but that would likely fix the problem entirely.  It would also facilitate support if other issues arise in the future.  It's a goal to work towards.

Lisa LePome
Principal Support Engineer -- Knowledge Management Coach
Alteryx, Inc.