Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.

Multi-Tenant management via ‘Run as different user’

ThomasT
8 - Asteroid

Hi all

Is there any way on a standard one node server to set up different ‘Run as different user’ profiles and then restrict certain groups to specific user profiles? 
I can only see that as possible on a multinode server where different nodes run as different users, but even then I’m not sure if you can reatrict groups to certain nodes. 

Is there any other methods to restrict certain user groups as to what data they have access to? 

The problem is that workflows on the gallery will run of generic database connections, however the goal is to restrict some groups from having access to those databases and the only way we can think of is via different ‘Run as’ profiles. 

The only other option i can think of is building an app where users have to enter their respective DCM connection id.

2 REPLIES 2
PanPP
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi @ThomasT 

One of doing this is to utilize Data Gallery Connections on the Gallery admin page (data connections).

You can create DSN-Less connection strings within the data connections tab, and add certain users, ad groups, or custom groups that can be created in the admin page of the gallery that has certain permissions to databases.

Each connection can reference a different database if needed (maybe this isn't an option)?

Here is an article that explains gallery data connections in detail.

Hope this helps, if it does please like this post and if it helps resolve your problem, mark it as a solution. If you have any other questions, please let us know.

TimN
13 - Pulsar

Hi, 

Are you trying to restrict a user from using the same database or are you trying to restrict the data a user is returned based on their data access permission?