Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.
SOLVED

Alteryx Server Persistence (Results and Uploaded Files)

Garrett
11 - Bolide

Hoping someone has quick answers to these so I don't have to fidget with my Alteryx Server settings and poke around in MongoDB to figure it out.

1a. If I have the Output Data tools in my workflow configured to write output to disk (rather than return output to the Gallery for the user to download), does MongoDB still persist these "results"?

1b. If I have the Input Data tools in my workflow configured to read from network locations or database at runtime (rather than packaging the data when saving to Gallery or using an app that requires the user to upload a file to the Gallery), does MongoDB still persist this as "uploaded files" or is it only ever stored in memory during job execution?

2. If I set my "Persistence Options" to 0, does this mean that MongoDB never persists any data after the job is complete or does it mean that the data is deleted daily (but is in fact persisted for the time between the job being complete and the MongoDB clean up)?

Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3
MichalM
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @Garrett

1a Depends. There will be scenarios where results get stored in MongoDB. This something that can be controlled in the Persistence layer settings 

1b It doesn't. The data is only stored in memory for processing.

2 It looks like the minimum you can set the value to is 1. If the box is checked, and value kept at zero, the selection is reset when the settings are stored.

Hope that helps

Michal

Garrett
11 - Bolide

Thanks @MichalM. I think I'm set for 1b and 2.

But regarding 1a: do you know what specific scenarios would cause results to be persisted in MongoDB even if all those outputs are written to disk/database, rather than returning to the Gallery for download? Is it safest to assume that all workflow outputs could be persisted in MongoDB regardless of whether or not they are presented for download on the Gallery?

Thanks again.

MichalM
Alteryx
Alteryx

If the workflow's output updates a table in a DB or creates a file on a shared drive then this is not saved in the MongoDB. If the output is a file a user can download or a table rendered on the screen then it is.

Makes sense?