Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.
SOLVED

Alteryx Gallery App input and output problems

Philip
12 - Quasar

I've created and posted an application to Alteryx Gallery, but I'm having two problems. The application takes a file upload and the name of the output file through interface tools.

Here is the link to the application.

https://gallery.alteryx.com/#!app/Convert-ASCII-Grid-to-Alteryx/599b4abceffc2a09d400a82c

1. The input file typically has a .txt extension, but the app won't take that as input. The error I receive is this:

The job Convert ASCII Grid to Alteryx did not complete successfully and resulted in the following errors:

• The Action "Tool #27" has an error: The file "In_599b4e33904d1c42914ec72b\larimer_colorado_dem_90m.txt" is not a known format. (2)

2. I can't successfully output the data as a .yxdb format file. I can output as a .shp format file. The error I receive is this:

The job Convert ASCII Grid to Alteryx did not complete successfully and resulted in the following errors:

• Error creating the file " Z:\Service\Staging\2404_75b3c79993b74cffbb9f434afa51cc6f\test.yxdb|||Table1 ": The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect. (Tool Id: 28)

Can someone help me figure out the causes and remedies for these two issues?

I've attached both the .csv and the .txt versions of an example data set for testing.

8 REPLIES 8
patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

For #1, Alteryx has a cool feature whereby when you select a file with a known extension, Alteryx will automatically be able to read the file in. As you've come across, this causes problems when the filetype is not a known file type (txt is not a known filetype since we're reading it in a csv). In order to handle a txt file, I've made an adjustment in the attached: I added a condition tool and an action tool. The condition tool makes sure that just one action tool fires off. The action tool that I added will just replace the filename and not change the extension (which is what your original action tool is doing by default). This should allow you to read in all known file types (csv, flat, xls) plus txt.

As for #2, I would reach out to support@alteryx.com. Unless we're both missing something, I'm not sure why it's adding the table1 business to your yxdb. I tried assorted workarounds with no luck. I think you have it setup correctly. I'd be happy to hear I'm wrong and this one so that I can learn something new!

Priyam
5 - Atom

Hi Philip,

I am facing the same output issue that you mentioned in #2 and I get a similar error as shown in screen shot below. Were you able to resolve this please?

New Workflow1 12/20/2017  RE-RUN
  •  

Oops!

The job New Workflow1 did not complete successfully and resulted in the following errors:
    • Error creating the file " D:\ProgramData\Alteryx\Service\Staging\11436_c5b330b3e7604c67809483f466c6e6d8\Test_Output.yxdb|||Table1 ": The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect. (Tool Id: 8)

rspear
5 - Atom

Thank you!  Works great.  Really appreciate it!

ajsmith
7 - Meteor

Did you resolve this issue in the end? I am now coming across it.

calebdugger
7 - Meteor

Did anyone come up with a solution to this? I have the same problem where it adds a table to the end and I want it to be CSV

jdylancampbell
5 - Atom

Was there ever a solution found for #2? Currently facing this issue.

calebdugger
7 - Meteor

Will it work if you change the Action Tool to "Update Value" instead of the default "Update Output Data Tool"? That's what worked for me in the end.

Matt19
7 - Meteor

Hey All, 

Still running into this issue on Ver 2022.1, what I found interesting is that the default choice "Alteryx Database as Browse Everywhere" is where I run into the issue of Alteryx appending the "Table1" to the file path, but if I choose the regular "Alteryx Database" it seems to work as intended. Not sure if others can confirm a similar experience, but wanted to share!

Matt19_0-1678209623655.png