Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Using Render and output file tool to same excel workbook

jchan58
8 - Asteroid
Am getting excel error when I try to open the output file generated by both render and excel output file, saying its corrupted and repaired.

The output file consists 2 worksheets, one of the worksheet using output file tool has large data set (30 columns x 300k rows), the other sheet with small data set is output from Render tool.

I could have used render tool for both sheets, but file size will be enormous.

I try to use parallel block until done to ensure both sheets wont override at the same time.

Weird the workflow complete with no issue but Getting that excel error message. The output file is showing empty data for one of the worksheet. Anyone encounter something similar?
47 REPLIES 47
KasiaP
7 - Meteor

I tried this solution too and it doesn't work. Sheet created by output tool is empty and excel gives an error message "we found a problem with some content..." .

DavidP
17 - Castor
17 - Castor
Could you send me your workflow to have a look?
KasiaP
7 - Meteor

Please check attached workflow.

Thanks!

KasiaP
7 - Meteor

I entered this topic because I am looking for the solution for below issue.

I am using reporting tools (table, layout, render) to create an excel report with multiple worksheets.

My problem is that I have to set up one page size for all worksheets when using render tool.

One of my worksheets has 2 columns of data and the other one has 50 columns. When I set the size to fit all 50 columns it is much too wide for the sheet with 2 coulmns, as table width adjusts to page width.

Does anyone found workaround for it?

Unfortunately solution posted below doesn't work: https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Discussions/Render-Multiple-Excel-Sheets-Different...

How to set multiple page sizes in one excel report?

Or how to prevent Alteryx from stretching the tables into the whole page?

Or is there a possibility to create formatted excel report using other than render tool?

Does anyone has any idea?

DavidP
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@KasiaP , in answer to your questions:

The Render tool only has one page size that is used for all sheets.

Have a look at the attached workflow that shows how I've dealt with sheets with different widths using a render tool.

I basically insert empty blocks with report text tools either side of the table that has reduced width.

DavidP
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

The idea behind my original post was that you wrote to both tabs with the render tool (i.e. first and second in your example), but you then overwrite the second tab with the output data tool.

Here is our example implemented with my original workflow.

KasiaP
7 - Meteor

Thanks @DavidP, both solutions work well.
You're the master!

DavidP
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @papalow ,

I just noticed that I never replied to your post - sorry about that. 

Can you share your workflow so that I can take a look?

jacob_kahn
12 - Quasar

I have been trying to solve this for days. 

The reason I was using both a Render tool and an output tool is because one chart I am exporting is about 7 inches wide; the other chart I am exporting is 60 inches wide. I did not want the 7 inch chart to be 60 inches wide - that is a lot of scrolling. With your solution I am exporting the 60 inch chart into a normal excel export (which usually requires expanding), and exporting my 7 inch chart with the render tool.

Thank you @DavidP 

cascreer
5 - Atom

I get the same issue. The block holds the output function (seemingly) correctly but when i open the excel it say there is a problem with the data and recovers it. All my rendered tabs are correct but the output tab is there correctly named but now with no data in it.

Labels