Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

the separator is in the text - large set of data

Cesc
8 - Asteroid

Hello!

I have a large set of data separated by "|". Once importing it, Alteryx tells me there are too many fields. Observing the situation, i have realized that it is because there is the character "|" inside  of a field. For example

AAA|BBB|CCC|DDD

a123|b123|c123|d123

a|aa|bbbb|cccc|dddd (in this line, the first string is a|aa, and it should not be separated).

Its such a large set of data that it is impossible to change it manually. How could I tell alteryx to get the right separator "|".

Thank you,

5 REPLIES 5
AngelosPachis
16 - Nebula

Hi @Cesc ,

Can you provide us with more info about how you're importing the data within Alteryx? What's your file type? Is it a.txt file?

Cesc
8 - Asteroid

Correct, it's a .txt

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @Cesc 

Your analysis is correct it is because there is the character "|" inside of a field. 

Make sure to read with below config

atcodedog05_1-1646333551920.png

Here is how you can do it

atcodedog05_0-1646333504562.png

Hope this helps : )

T_Willins
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar

Hi @Cesc,

What is the actual rule for determining if a | is part of the string or a separator?  Your sample data makes it easy to find a solution, but this may not match your actual data.

Alteryx_AR
12 - Quasar

Hi @Cesc-

I am also a user of same type of datasets . While importing following configuration helps you to get data in correct format-

ArtiRajput_0-1646352643745.png

If you want to use text input following is the method that I know-

ArtiRajput_1-1646352730619.png

ArtiRajput_2-1646352744368.png

Hope my solution helps you. If yes , please mark as accepted solution.

Thanks

Labels