Join the Alteryx Community’s Maveryx Summer Cup event! Compete, network with others, and earn your gold through a series of challenges from July 24th to August 11th. Learn more about the event here.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

the separator is in the text - large set of data

Cesc
8 - Asteroid

Hello!

I have a large set of data separated by "|". Once importing it, Alteryx tells me there are too many fields. Observing the situation, i have realized that it is because there is the character "|" inside  of a field. For example

AAA|BBB|CCC|DDD

a123|b123|c123|d123

a|aa|bbbb|cccc|dddd (in this line, the first string is a|aa, and it should not be separated).

Its such a large set of data that it is impossible to change it manually. How could I tell alteryx to get the right separator "|".

Thank you,

5 REPLIES 5
AngelosPachis
16 - Nebula

Hi @Cesc ,

Can you provide us with more info about how you're importing the data within Alteryx? What's your file type? Is it a.txt file?

Cesc
8 - Asteroid

Correct, it's a .txt

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @Cesc 

Your analysis is correct it is because there is the character "|" inside of a field. 

Make sure to read with below config

atcodedog05_1-1646333551920.png

Here is how you can do it

atcodedog05_0-1646333504562.png

Hope this helps : )

T_Willins
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar

Hi @Cesc,

What is the actual rule for determining if a | is part of the string or a separator?  Your sample data makes it easy to find a solution, but this may not match your actual data.

Alteryx_AR
12 - Quasar

Hi @Cesc-

I am also a user of same type of datasets . While importing following configuration helps you to get data in correct format-

ArtiRajput_0-1646352643745.png

If you want to use text input following is the method that I know-

ArtiRajput_1-1646352730619.png

ArtiRajput_2-1646352744368.png

Hope my solution helps you. If yes , please mark as accepted solution.

Thanks

Labels