Join the Alteryx Community’s Maveryx Summer Cup event! Compete, network with others, and earn your gold through a series of challenges from July 24th to August 11th. Learn more about the event here.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Unable to select (current field name +1) in Multi-Field tool

Nipun_Charaya
5 - Atom

I need to apply a calculation which compares the date of current and next field name. How could I choose next field name as a variable in my Multi-Field expression?

3 REPLIES 3
Raj
15 - Aurora

@Nipun_Charaya 
please add some sample input and expected output 
will be in better condition to help.

AndrewDMerrill
13 - Pulsar

As @Raj mentioned, more information would be very helpful in providing guidance for your particular problem: a more detailed problem description, sample input and output (not images is ideal).

That being said, there is no way for the Multi-Field Formula Tool to dynamically reference the next column in the dataset. You only have access to the Current Field, and Original Fields (which must be accessed by name).

If you just need to compare two date fields in different columns, I recommend just using a Formula Tool. If you have a series of dates that need to be compared from one column to the next, then you would be better off transposing the data and plugging in the Multi-Row Formula Tool.

While you can technically write a large nested if statement to check the current field name and then perform the correct comparison, this would only work for a small fixed number of comparisons would be hard to read/debug, and is highly not recommended.

Hopefully this helps and Happy Solving!

Nipun_Charaya
5 - Atom

I guess this helps and answers my question. Thank you. However, if I get stuck will share the more information. For now I will transpose and use the Multi-Row formula tool.

Labels