Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

[TxtFile][BlankSpaces] - Not able to change values

Joker_Hazard
11 - Bolide

Hello Guys.

I am trying to create an macro which would allow me to change a few characters from this TXT file. 

However I have a few problems:

1. Alteryx is not respecting the blank spaces as they should be. Each line must have 241 characters and this must not be changed.

2. I am not able to create a field, or something, to help me to change the outlined values, on yellow. Maybe a formula or something...

3. The file is TXT, but I'm trying to input as CSV. Any other ideas? 

Important: The output must respect the 241 characters positions of each line.

I really appreciate the help, this is extremely important to me!! 

imagem_2020-12-22_190459.png

4 REPLIES 4
pedrodrfaria
13 - Pulsar

Hi @Joker_Hazard , regarding the first issue, you can simply use a padright function to add spaces until it reaches 234 characters ( PadRight([Field_1],234,' ') ).

For the second issue, could you please elaborate a little bit more about what you are trying to do? You should be able to replace a value using the formula building block and doing a replace function ( replace([Field_1], "what you want to replace", "what is replacing it").

Pedro.

Joker_Hazard
11 - Bolide

Hi , Pedro, thank you for the quick answer!!!

I tried using padright, but there is an issue. The file has different segments of blank spaces. Here is an example..

Joker_Hazard_0-1608677409752.png

Each line has it's on peculiarity, so I'm unable to use this formula..

For the second issue, yes its possible to use replace function. However, I dont know to use the "building block" tool. Could you show me how to fix both issues in the workflows of alteryx?

Sorry. I have just two weeks of alteryx so far, still new to the software...

Thank you

pedrodrfaria
13 - Pulsar

For the first issue: When are you trying to insert the blank spaces in order to have 234 as the length of the fields? What is the logic?

For the second issue: I have added a workflow demonstrating how you can use the replace formula.

Joker_Hazard
11 - Bolide

Pedro,

Basically, the file must have 241 positions. Every letter, number or blank space is ONE position. Therefore, the total for each line must be 241.

This is not changeable because I use another program that reads this file. 

However, as I posted, each line breaks in different positions, for example:

Line 1: Breaks into 6 blank spaces in position 140.

Line 2: Breaks into 10 blank spaces in position 100

And then it goes like this.. And there are plenty of examples on the file like this.

Thats what I'm struggling with, how to make alteryx understands that those blanks spaces MUST be there and with its on number of positions!!

Labels