Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Summarize Tool - New Columns month over month needing to be summarized

edavies
8 - Asteroid

Hello, I'm currently using the Summarize tool to come up with allocations.  However, I expect there to be additional columns to be added in the future that will need to be summarized to capture new data.  Since the summarize tool only summarizes on the current selected data, I expect my current workflow won't capture those new columns.  Is there a way to implement something in my workflow that will capture these additional columns/criteria without going into my workflow each time and manually selecting the new data I want to summarize?

I hope this makes sense, and appreciate any help!

4 REPLIES 4
Prometheus
12 - Quasar

@edavies In this example, I'm using some dummy data with store revenue. There are two datasets to choose from. I have the 6 months dataset connected, but you can connect the 9 months dataset and run it and see how transposing your data can help you create a more dynamic workflow. If you use the Transpose tool to pivot your data, you will then have all of your values in a single column that you can sum and choose your categorical data to group by. If you can upload some dummy data with the correct fields, I can create a more specific solution for you. 

6 Months:

6 Months.PNG

9 Months:

9 Months.PNG

Trans data.PNG

Summarize Totals.PNG

flying008
14 - Magnetar

Hi, @edavies 

As @Prometheus  said, If you want dynamic summarize fields , maybe need use macro or transpose + cross tab  tools to get it.

caltang
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@Prometheus has given you a dynamic solution. When new columns appear, they will also be summarized according to your configurations in the Summarize tool. 

If it helps, kindly mark @Prometheus ' solution as the accepted solution to close the thread accordingly. Thanks @edavies !

Calvin Tang
Alteryx ACE
https://www.linkedin.com/in/calvintangkw/
edavies
8 - Asteroid

Thank you for your time and explanation.  This was very helpful, and helped me build out my workflow!

Labels