Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Return PDF file as an output.

saqibshh
7 - Meteor

I wanted to know how can we return pdf file as output? I know the basic way of creating report using table > layout > render.

But since my pdf is kinda complex, I m creating pdf file using python tool and wanted to know if there's a way to pickup the pdf which was created using python and output it because ill be uploading my workflow in the Alteryx server and I would like to see report as output.

as of now its creating pdf locally.

4 REPLIES 4
FrederikE
13 - Pulsar

Hey @saqibshh,

See: https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Desktop-Discussions/Visualization-from-Python/m-p/...

There it is done using Base64 encoding for python graphs. It should be possible to do the same thing with .pdfs. 

apathetichell
18 - Pollux

yes. here is what you need to do.

1) create the specific location you'll output your file to in python. you will need to use the system variable - workflow directory. You will need to pass this into your python tool to make sure that your python tool writes the file to that location.

2) you will need a block until done tool. you will attach 1) to your python tool and

3) a second later connection from your bud tool must connect to a BLOB INPUT TOOL.

4) you will re-read the file you created in python (with your full path variable) into a blob input tool. now it's in your workflow.

5) you will output again using your blob output tool.

once output via your blob output tool you should be able to pick up your file you created in python from your server workflow results screen.

saqibshh
7 - Meteor

Thank you so much for detailed response, after trying what you've suggested and saving the workflow in the Alteryx server am not able to run from gallery.

Its not giving any error while running locally but i cant run it from gallery. Is it related to providing filepath? if yes what should i do? 

saqibshh_0-1686234271785.png

saqibshh
7 - Meteor

Above error was fixed after I updated my Alteryx server.

Labels