Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Result Window not displaying results

Tim-B
5 - Atom

Hello,

Problem:   When I run the workflow, the results window remains empty.   The only way to view the data is by adding a browser tool.   Any tool used downstream in the workflow requires a browser tool to inspect results.

Input:  Snowflake connection - SQL query (no errors in connection or code).   ODBC DB - Using default connection settings.

Observations

1)  I only experience this when connecting to Snowflake.   I can have other connection types in the same workflow that display results in the results window, but snowflake connection will not display without using a browser tool.

2)  Most of the time, I can run the workflow the very first time and see results in the results window, but any subsequent run of the workflow I cannot and have to use a browser.  

3)  It doesn't matter whether I cache the input

4)  It doesn't matter whether I limit the return results to a very small number of records

5)  I have more than 20% of my hard drive space available (70GB free), have 16GB RAM, Processor is Intel I5-8550U @1.7Ghz no memory issues,

6)  Changing buffer size does not appear to help.  

7)  Rebooting my PC does not help.  

😎  Running workflow using AMP Engine does not help (Grasping here!) 

9)  This has occurred with several different projects  -  not just a one time occurrence.

10)  A co-worker has the same problem with the workflow I sent him to test today.   (Using just the Input Tool)

Using Designer x64 

Version:  2020.3.4

Any help would be very much appreciated.   Thank you!

2 REPLIES 2
jrgo
14 - Magnetar

HI @Tim-B 

I could be completely wrong here, but I'm thinking it's due to the tools you have in your workflow in that there's no downstream tool dependency for needing the data. In other words, the data requested from your input tool is not going anywhere. I have experienced this before, don't recall if it was related to Snowflake though.

I also noticed that the your Input is using a complex query (complex in that it's not a simple SELECT * FROM TABLE). Wondering if that could be contributing to this in that the engine is deciding not to execute or wait for results since the data is not going anywhere.

When I do come across this, I'll usually keep a Browse tool connected to the input to force all data to be stored in memory. This usually will allow any downstream tools to then display the 1MB sample.

I know this isn't a solution, but just wanted to share my thoughts.

Best,

Jimmy
Teknion Data Solutions

Tim-B
5 - Atom

Hi @jrgo 

Thank you for your thoughtful response.

When I put a browser tool on the input, it does not force the data into memory for other downstream tools to pick up - I need to add browser tools on every tool I want to view results.

However, I think you're on to something with the complex query theory.    The query I am using is not simple.   I tested a simple query connecting to the same tables in Snowflake and found I do not experience the issue, and no browser tools are required downstream.  

So at this point, the issue does not appear to be Snowflake related, which is a relief.   However it would be great if Alteryx could handle complex queries better, because adding browser tools everywhere in a complex workflow is frustrating.

Again - thank you for helping to isolate and understand the issue!

Tim  

Labels