Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Removing Characters from header fields

parria1
8 - Asteroid

I have a data set that includes headers formatted like this

WE
10/
24/
WE
10/
17/
WE
10/
10/
WE
10/
03/
Sep
Aug
Jul
Jun
May

I have two issues keeping me from outputting this to a table in an Access Database:

1. Carriage return. I have this fixed with a regex formula in a multi field formula tool

2. the / character in the date fields. how do i replace this with a dash? i tired find and replace but the tool would not display the fields above that had the / symbol.

6 REPLIES 6
AngelosPachis
16 - Nebula

Hi @parria1 ,

If the "/" character is in your headers, you can use a dynamic rename tool, connect your stream to the L input anchor and use the following formula 

Screenshot 2020-10-30 173642.jpg

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Angelos

parria1
8 - Asteroid

That works for the / fields.

my regex in the multiformula field toold for the carriage return actually is not working on the numeric fields. here is what i have

Regex_Replace( [_CurrentField_], "\r*\n*", "")

i receive the error below

Error: Multi-Field Formula (13): Parse Error at char(1): Formula: tried to apply string operator to numeric value (REGEX_REPLACE)

AngelosPachis
16 - Nebula

Hey @parria1 , apparently the field you are applying your regex is a numeric data field and regex can only be applied into string fields. Can you make sure the field you are applying regex to in your multi-field formula tool is a string field please?

parria1
8 - Asteroid

it needs to be a numeric field. 

i guess i can change it to text, do the regex, then change it back to numeric.

AngelosPachis
16 - Nebula

Correct @parria1 , hope that works!

parria1
8 - Asteroid

it's not practical in the long run as new fields will pop up that have this issue.

Labels