Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Output to specific (dynamic) cells

ck2024
9 - Comet

Hi

This is linked to an earlier request, but a different problem...I have this formula linked to a path to write to

"\Stage 1 - CbCR - "+[Region]+".xlsx|||'CbCR FY21 Table 1$B13:$L"+tostring(12+[Range])+"'"

Which results in various paths, with the last row count varying based on the region...

C:\Users\c06280a\CBCR Local File FY21 - General\Stage 1 - CbCR - APAC.xlsx|||'CbCR FY21 Table 1$B13:$L27'

However, when I output to Excel referencing this path I get an error message..

"Error: Output Data (86): 'CbCR FY21 Table 1$B13:$L27' is an invalid Sheet/Range specification for Excel"

Can you help me see what the issue is?

As I understand it, I need the single quotes when trying to output to a range within the sheet - I've attached a screen grab of my output config in case I am doing something wrong there too...

The alternative is to write to a separate sheet but then I am going ot have to create the formulae in the tab that i want to out put into and i wanted to avoid that if possible...

Thanks

Cass

6 REPLIES 6
DawnDuong
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

Hi @ck2024 

Did you try to "lock" the range just in like in Excel? 

I think you have an extra "$"... See below an example of the correct syntax. Hope this helps.

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Discussions/Writing-to-a-specific-cell-in-Excel/td...

Dawn.

ck2024
9 - Comet

Hey @DawnDuong 

I still get an error - I did try both

This is the output now

C:\Users\c06280a\CBCR Local File FY21 - General\Stage 1 - CbCR - UK&I.xlsx|||CbCR FY21 Table 1$B13:$L14

Have I configured the output correctly - could that be the issue?

Thanks for your guidance...

DawnDuong
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

hi @ck2024 

Try this without the extra "$". The character $ signals the start of the range. You had 2 $ earlier.

C:\Users\c06280a\CBCR Local File FY21 - General\Stage 1 - CbCR - APAC.xlsx|||'CbCR FY21 Table 1$B13:L27'

Dawn.

apathetichell
19 - Altair

Can you confirm that this file/sheet/range already exist (you have output data set to overwrite - not create) - and if so, can you post a screengrab of the exact error message?

ck2024
9 - Comet

Hi @DawnDuong 

That did the trick, although for some reason it didn't actually write anything to the file so not sure what the deal is there and there are no error messages either...any further suggestions?  

DawnDuong
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

Hi @ck2024 

The reason why you had the earlier error was because the syntax is wrong.

as to why nothing is written, i cannot tell without knowing what your workflows looklike.

like someone has mentioned earlier in this thread, if you can upload the workflow (a sanitised version of it) someone in the community can probably help you solve the issue.

dawn 

Labels