Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Outlook 365 Input Tool - Download Attachments

GregCiul
6 - Meteoroid

I am running 2022.3.1 Designer Desktop with version 1.1.0 of the Outlook 365 Input Tool.  Does the tool support downloading attachments from emails to a UNC network path?  I am able to save to my desktop mapped drive path (i.e., "O:\Alteryx\Email_Attachements\").

7 REPLIES 7
Prometheus
12 - Quasar

You can choose to download attachments and you can change the "Download To" path in the configuration window under the Data tab.

Outlook Input Config.PNG

GregCiul
6 - Meteoroid

Yes, I am able to successfully download email attachments, but only to a mapped drive.  What I would like to do is utilize a UNC path (i.e., \\server_name\Alteryx\Email_Attachements\).

GregCiul
6 - Meteoroid

When I use the UNC path to a shared network drive I receive the an error (Provided path '\\server_name\Share_Name\Alteryx\Email_Attachments\' does not exist, attachments will be downloaded in 'c:\Users\UserID\AppData\Local\Temp\Outlook 365'.  This is the %TEMP% path plus Outlook 365 directory.   I have issues saving Output Data files to the UNC path.  Is this a limitation of tool?

GregCiul
6 - Meteoroid

My issue was with syntax.  Changing '\\server_name\Share_Name\Alteryx\Email_Attachments\'  to '//server_name/Share_Name/Alteryx/Email_Attachments'  resolved the issue.  Also note I had to remove spaces in the path.

Prometheus
12 - Quasar

@GregCiul I'm glad it worked out for you. Thanks for posting your solution. I'm sure it'll be helpful to others.

VMuktevi
5 - Atom

If you want to use UNC path, you can try using a mapped variable I think. As an example, %Temp must be an environment variable that was set during alteryx client installation. You can create similar %UNCPATH system variable on your drive and save the UNC path to that variable. 

VMuktevi
5 - Atom

using UNC Path worked for me. I replaced the \ (back slash) with forward slash / and it worked without issue. didnt need to setup an environment variable

Labels