Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

New to Alteryx Designer

Inactive User
Not applicable

Alteryx Community,

I am brand new to Alteryx and this is my first question to the community. 

I have an input of a single column of data containing 20 names, one per row (most first and last, but some have a middle).

I have a second input of 10 characteristics (friendly, punctual, etc.) along with a rating for each person above in a single row. 

For example: Friendly 3.8 3.5 4.0 3.9 2.4 3.8 3.4 3.6 .......... etc

I would like to get an Output via Browse that pulls from the two inputs and lists all of the 10 characteristics in the first column, followed by the corresponding rating for each person in columns to follow. 

For example: 

CharacteristicJon DoeJane DoeFrank Darren SmithT. Barber
Friendly3.83.54.03.9
Punctual3.02.93.8

Can anyone point me in the right direction to get me started? What tools do you feel are required to get from the starting point to the ending point?

11 REPLIES 11
IraWatt
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hey @Inactive User,

Can you show an example of how your two inputs are formatted? your second input sounds like it has all the desired information for your desired output?

Inactive User
Not applicable

pmyers_0-1653090105478.png

Does this help?

IraWatt
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Thanks yeah that helps I'll put something together with that :) though copy and pasted tables are easier as I cant copy your table from an image

IraWatt
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hey @Inactive User.

Heres an example workflow:

IraWatt_0-1653092230089.png

Quite a bit to do as a lot of the data is contained within one cell. Please ask if any questions.

HTH,

Ira

Inactive User
Not applicable

Thank you so much! Two follow-up questions, if you don't mind -- (1) my numbers are decimals; how would I alter the RegEx expression to account for a decimal numbers like 2.1 ?  (2) what purpose does the Formula early on in the workflow with Empty = Null () serve? Thanks again! 

IraWatt
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

No worries @Inactive User! glad it worked for you :) for the decimals I've updated the regex in the attached workflow here, let me know if you have any issues there. The formula is because you need a values column if you want to use the cross tab tool. 

Inactive User
Not applicable

Thank you. One glitch I discovered in the workflow is that the Cross Tab step automatically alphabetizes the names, which then makes the Output wrong during the Union step. It looks like putting things alphabetical is built-in to Cross Tab with no way to change it. Any tips or tricks to fix?

Also, for my own awareness (since I'm new to the Community) is it ok to ask follow-on questions like this in the original thread or should I create a new question? Thanks again for your help! :)

IraWatt
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hey @Inactive User,

I've updated the workflow to keep the ordering correctly :) hopefully no other glitches.

IraWatt_0-1653215905300.png

I think its fine to continue on questions if its still on the same topic/problem, don't think there is any rules on it ether lol :D. Some people like to give multiple solution ticks to the follow up answers which I think is quite good. 

Inactive User
Not applicable

Thank you for the assistance. It seems like it would be handy if Cross Tab had a setting to turn off alphabetizing when desired. In the meantime, now I know how to get around it. Thanks again!

Labels