Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Need help with a solution

imadorkous1
7 - Meteor

In my role, I had built out a simple Alteryx workflow that pulls financial data from 2 systems and copies and pastes the data into a excel template that contains pre-arranged pivot tables. So after the Alteryx workflow runs, I open up the Excel file where the data is written to, refresh the pivot tables, save it, and share it to the business owners. See Existing Process flow down attached.

However now the business owners are putting notes to against some records of the pivot table (see key fields in the table below), the business owners want me to take the notes that they entered from the previous day's report and paste it back into the new report that I am running. The problem or the flaw that I have is that I have to would first have to run the original workflow, open the excel file, refresh pivots, save, AND THEN run another workflow to copy and paste the notes into the new report. I feel like this would be too cumbersome, and there has to be a better solution. Let me know if I am overthinking it and if there might be an easier way. I have attached Images of the process flows. and down below would be the 

Dow below is the pivot table that I have:

Pivot tablePivot tablePivot tablePivot tablePivot tablePivot tableManual Input
DateBooking numberbooking sub numbermarketcustomer namebusiness categoryNOTES

5 REPLIES 5
Prometheus
12 - Quasar

@imadorkous1 Have you thought about pulling the data with notes from the previous report and putting it into a different file, then take that data and blend it with the new data?

imadorkous1
7 - Meteor

Hi @Prometheus - I suppose I could, but that doesnt go around the issue I would have of running my initial Alteryx workflow, opening the Excel file, refresh pivots, close the file. Then run another workflow to copy in the data with notes from the previous report. I would like to run one workflow if possible. 

Prometheus
12 - Quasar

@imadorkous1 Have you thought about making two workflows into a chained app?

imadorkous1
7 - Meteor

@Prometheus  - No never heard of a chained app? How does that work?

Prometheus
12 - Quasar

@imadorkous1 Basically, you switch your workflow to an Analytic App either manually through the workflow configuration, or by adding in Interface tools. If you go to View, Interface Designer, Properties, then click on the check box next to "On Success - Run Another Analytic App," you can map to that app by clicking on the folder icon. Once the first app is done running, the second one kicks off transparent to the user, so it just looks like a single app. Here's a video about chained apps: https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Interactive-Lessons/Chaining-Analytic-Apps/ta-p/243120 

Labels