Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Names in column to a business area - IF formula?

arundaka03
7 - Meteor

Hi

I have a data set which includes the following column of names. Their names are associated with a particular business area and I need a new column created based on their name and business area. Desired outcome would look like: 

NameBusiness Area (new column created)
Mary RaphinhaExperience Design
Peter ForshawExperience Design
Desmond MeslierExperience Design
Cat JamesBusiness Design
Kirk RodrigoBusiness Design
Robert AylingBusiness Design

Assuming an IF formula of sorts will do it, but not quite advanced in my syntax to create one! Help appreciated. 

Thanks,

KA

4 REPLIES 4
Ladarthure
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar

Hi @arundaka03,

you can do it using a if formula which would look like something like this 

IF [Name] = ‘A’ then ‘business’

ELSEIF [Name] = ‘B’ then ‘Experience’

ELSE ‘other’

ENDIF

You could also use the [name] in (‘à’, ‘b’) instead of using = and having it multiple times.

but this is not viable if you have more than 8 names or if the names changes often. Maybe you could get a data source containing names and business area which would make it easier and more automated !

FrederikE
13 - Pulsar

If there is no pattern behind the Business Area and Name relation, i would recommend that you build a lookup table. 

Just use a "Text Input" Tool, type the two columns in there and the connect it to the datastream via. the "Find Replace" Tool. There you can replace select the two name columns and choose to append the Business Area Field. 

See the attached WF. 

binuacs
20 - Arcturus

@arundaka03 There are multiple ways to do this. If you can provide some sample input file and expected output file we can show you the options. 

ArtApa
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @arundaka03 - I'd recommend:

a) Switch function: https://help.alteryx.com/20221/designer/conditional-functions, or

b) Text Input and Find Replace tool: https://help.alteryx.com/20221/designer/find-replace-tool 

Labels