Join the Alteryx Community’s Maveryx Summer Cup event! Compete, network with others, and earn your gold through a series of challenges from July 24th to August 11th. Learn more about the event here.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

N DIMENSIONAL ERROR ISSUE IN Alteryx

PiyushJain
8 - Asteroid

How to resolve     

N-Dimensional Join Errors

and how to identify and handle NULL.

I am facing below error/warning in alteryx designer workflow.

Error:

" 128 records were generated by an N - Dimensional Join key ( Business Region: XYZ ,COUNTRY: ABC).

My expected output rows : 210 to 250 rows

But i am getting 2300 rows

I checked and found ,output rows contains few null records, i sucpect that because of NULL ,my multiple join tool getting to much records like 2300 rows. ( but not sure).

I Tried below 2 options 

1. Warn on multidimensional joins....

( In this case record count coming is 2335)

2. Error on multidimensional  joins....

( In this case record count is coming 123) with N- Dimensional error.

I also tried option " Allow All multidimensional..."

But result is not expected. 

My input to Multiple Join tool is not contain any NULL ,But output contains Null values.

I checked throughly, but not able to figure out from where these nulls are coming. 

Please advise how to resolve issue.

Regards 

Piyush J

5 REPLIES 5
AngelosPachis
16 - Nebula

Ηι @PiyushJain ,

To simplify your issue and improve your understanding of what's causing the issue, try using regular join tools and investigate what's falling out of the L and R input anchors and how many records fall out of your J output anchor. That should explain the nulls but also the duplicate records.

If course, you will have to use more than one Join tools to figure out what's wrong, but if you take it one step at a time, you should get there!

Cheers,

Angelos

PiyushJain
8 - Asteroid

Hi Angelos,

Thanks for help. I am able to mange and resolve the issue as of now.

Once again thanks. 

Regards

Piyush J

AngelosPachis
16 - Nebula

Hi @PiyushJain ,

Do you mind posting in this thread how you manage to solve it? It might help future users that will visit  this page.

radhikasood1112
8 - Asteroid

Hello Piyush,

I am getting the same error. I used both the options - 

1. Allow all multidimensional joins

2. Warn on the multidimensional joins.

Still getting the same error:

Error: Join Multiple (43): 95481 records were generated by an N-Dimensional Join - Join Key: (Zipcode: )

End: Designer x64: Finished running Zipcode level_file.yxmd in 5.7 seconds with 1 error and 22 warnings

Screen Shot 2022-08-01 at 9.31.13 PM.png

Can you please help how did you resolve this?

Thanks!

apathetichell
19 - Altair

1) don't use join multiples - use a series of regular joins.

2) join on items which are unique in at least some of the datasets. - you can use a summarize tool beforehand to find unique values.

Labels