Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Matching 2 columns from 1 table...fuzzy match an option?

rhyatt
8 - Asteroid

Hi, I posted a week or so ago about trying to match up customer search terms with product names.  Using CONTAINS I am matching a decent amount of these, but I'd like to catch even more. I've been looking into fuzzy match, but I'm not sure how to use it for what I want.

Here's an example of what I'm talking about:

idsearch termproduct namematch
1adviladvil gel 100yes
2advladvil gel 100no
3advil gel 10advil gel 100no

For the purpose of what I'm doing I would like all of those to be considered a match.  Contains only counts the first one as a match since the term 'advil' is part of the product name. 

When i read up on fuzzy match I can't find an example that compares 2 columns in the same table.  I'm guessing I need to maybe union the table to itself and give each row a unique identifier and then somehow try and match the 2 columns from there?  But I haven't been able to get anything like that to work either. 

Help!

4 REPLIES 4
mborriero
11 - Bolide

Hi @rhyatt, the Fuzzy match tool has just one input. You need to union the field you  want to compare, then the option "Merge".

The workflow attached compare each word from the 2 source and give you a percentage of match score.

rhyatt
8 - Asteroid

This looks very promising, but I'm having some trouble on my end.  With a similar fake data set (only 5 rows), I can only get 2 to show up in the final output when I believe they should all count as matches?

Can you look at this and see where I might be doing something wrong? 

Thanks!

mborriero
11 - Bolide

I do not know the reason... but you have to do an UPPERCASE on one of the field.

I had your same issue yesterday, then I solved it using an uppercase function, but again, not sure why!

Capture.JPG

rhyatt
8 - Asteroid

Ha, that's so strange.  But yep that did it, works now.  Thanks man!

Labels