Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

JavaScript plugin error after upgrade to 2022.1

blyons
11 - Bolide

We upgraded Designer and Server from 2021.3 to 2022.1 on Tuesday. Ever since then, we are getting 

Error: JavaScript (7): Failed to receive initialization from JavaScript plugin, timeout "20000ms"
on any workflow using the JavaScript Tool.

Even the samples downloaded from https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Engine-Works/The-JavaScript-Tool/ba-p/70892 throw the same error. I also tried reinstalling from that page as well, with no change.

The error happens on both Designer and Server. AMP or no AMP, makes no difference.

Is anyone else encountering this?

bl

2 REPLIES 2
NeilR
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@blyons, as noted in the blog article you reference, the JavaScript tool was experimental. As such it was never officially supported. As you have encountered, apparently a recent change was introduced that broke the tool. I've archived the blog and added a note at the top. Apologies for the inconvenience.

blyons
11 - Bolide

Documenting my workaround here in case anyone else is interested. My workaround requires the use of Snowflake. Since Snowflake has native support for Javascript in its user defined functions and stored procedures (it was their first supported language), it was relatively simple to take the Javascript code from Alteryx, plug it into a UDF in Snowflake, and tweak a little on the inputs and outputs. To use it from an Alteryx workflow, I just use In-Db tools to stream the data out to a temporary table, call the function in the In-Db formula tool, then stream the data back to the workflow.

This is just temporary. Once we complete our migration to Snowflake, much more of this workflow will be In-Db.

I hope that helps someone.

Labels