Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Is it possible to Wildcard Search Column Names for use in a Filter?

JPSeagull
8 - Asteroid

Hi. I have an Alteryx workflow that generates additional columns based on the number of payment methods a particular customer has. Most have just one payment method, some can have up to 5 or 6. The workflow creates new columns up to the max number of any customer. For example, if I have 10 customers with nine customers having just one payment method and the 10th customer one having three methods, then there will be three columns generated where the first nine customers have NULLs in the second and third column and the 10th customer having all three columns with values.

I now have to assign financial assistance eligibility according to certain types of payment methods. That's no problem as I use a CASE statement in SQL to do that. However, when it is brought over to Alteryx, I need a filter that will not depend on an exact list of generated payment method columns as this will fluctuate day to day. For any customer that has "Ineligible" in any of their payment methods, then I need to filter them out completely from the resulting data set.

I am thinking I could use an expression in a filter where I can wildcard the column name, "Priority_*_Eligible," but I don't see anyway to do that. 

Any suggestions? Attached is the workflow where @Luke_C was kind enough to help me solve one challenge. First Screen shot is yesterday's report where only 1 customer is eligible and I need to filter out the other 6 from the report. Today's report has 8 customers where the latest customer has 6 payment methods which creates the extra "Priority*" columns and all payment methods are eligible. So for today, I need to keep two rows where there are no "No" in the Eligible columns.

JPSeagull_0-1677517387716.png

JPSeagull_1-1677517422908.png

JPSeagull_0-1677520815285.png

3 REPLIES 3
apathetichell
19 - Altair

This is easier with transpose/summarize -you can then filter out records with a "no" value when you rejoin using an outer join...

JPSeagull
8 - Asteroid

@apathetichell Thank you for feedback. I figured it out by adding in a Formula before the transpose tool to assign 1 or 0 to eligibility by customer and order number then Summarize Tool to group then join back after the cross tab tool. Thanks for the nudge!

JPSeagull_0-1677521453522.png

Rafael_Caixeta
7 - Meteor

Hey @JPSeagull, if understand you, I developed a batch macro and post here that make what you want using only Customer ID and Order ID to search and prioritize the lines you want. If have any doubt, contact me. If it works is a pleasure to help.

Labels