Important Community update: The process for changing your account details was updated on June 25th. Learn how this impacts your Community experience and the actions we suggest you take to secure your account here.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

IF IN THEN ELSEIF ELSE ENDIF "Parameter # has a type mismatch" ERROR

tho03049
6 - Meteoroid

I cannot get this formula to work, I have tried changing the formula case, Data Type, variations of IF statements... no dice. The Data type of the field being referenced is V_String, so it cannot be that.  Help.Formula Error IF IN ELSEIF.png 

4 REPLIES 4
Emmanuel_G
13 - Pulsar

@tho03049 

At the first glance, I think the main issue in your If statement comes from the ||.

If you want to use the IN operator to select multiple values, you must use a comma instead of the ||. For example : IF [Action Reason Description] IN ("INV: Attendance","INV: Breach of trust",....).

The || is identical to OR so you use ir when you want to combine many logical tests in a signe IF/ELSEIF statement such as IF [Value1] = 1 || [Value2] = 1 THEN "OK" ELSE "Nothing" ENDIF.

Can you test it and confirm if it works ?

caltang
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

One good way to check is to paste your IF statement into Notepad++ and check out the syntax from there. But I agree with @Emmanuel_G's first assessment. The || may be causing some issues.

Other than that, I think your malform IF condition comes from not properly closing a statement with a IF a THEN b ELSEIF c THEN d ELSE e ENDIF, this happens more often than we'd like. Retrace your steps and split the portions of your statement into a, b, c, d, and e as per the IF statement structure to see what went wrong.

Calvin Tang
Alteryx ACE
https://www.linkedin.com/in/calvintangkw/
Pang_Hee_Choy
12 - Quasar

I suggest you build a table in excel or in text input.

ActionTerm type
INV: AttendanceInvoluntary
INV: Breach of trustInvoluntary

then join and union then use formula to adjust the blank column like below.

Pang_Hee_Choy_0-1686799456978.png

Cassagni
5 - Atom

Hello tho03049 !

Have you tried to change the data type to V_WString ?

V_String: "If the string greater than 16 characters and varies in length from value to value."

V_WString:  "If the string greater than 16 characters and varies in length from value to value. If the string contains unicode and is longer than 16 characters, use V_WString, such as a "Notes" or "Address" field."

Good Luck !

Gabriel Cassagni

Labels