Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

How to trap fields/values from a .txt input

Jake5
8 - Asteroid

I have a .txt file where the data is somewhat unstructured as shown in the two attachments, especially page 2.  Highlighted in both are the data I would like to bring into Alteryx as a table with the field names (e.g. PAYT GRP ID/NAME) and their corresponding values (e.g. 24/MONTHLY AFIS).  How is the best way to trap this information and bring it in.  The other issue is this txt document can have a page range of anywhere between 3 - 15 but I'm only needing the information from pages 1 & 2.  Thanks.  

22 REPLIES 22
Felipe_Ribeir0
16 - Nebula

Hi @Jake5 

Sorry about the delay to answer, i just wanted to take a time to do it better.

1-Enter this website: https://regex101.com/

2-Fill the test string field with this full text (even the spaces before/after): 

INCLUDE/EXCLUDE GROUP ID/NAME:        5/QUARTERLY FI - A RKCONNECT                                                          

3-Fill the regular expression with this:

\s{4,}(.*?)\s{4,}(.*?)\s{4,}.*

Untitled.png

Description of what the groups are getting:

Group 1-Four or more spaces

Group 3-Four or more spaces

Group 5-Four or more spaces and everything after them

Group 2-Smallest sequence of characters between Group 1 and Group 3

Group 4-Smallest sequence of characters between Group 3 and Group 5

Hope this make sense, you will get it through practice.

Jake5
8 - Asteroid

Felipe - I really appreciate that you took the time to explain this....very helpful!  For the '4 or more' expression in this formula, I'm trying to understand how you decided on 4.  Is it because any values in groups two and four had 3 or fewer spaces so the '4' expression avoids grouping it with a spaced value?

Felipe_Ribeir0
16 - Nebula

@Jake5 to be honest with you, i tried 4 and it worked kkkkk, but some other values would make it work too.

Labels