Alert: There is a planned Community maintenance outage October 16th from approximately 10 - 11 PM PST. During this time the Alteryx Community will be inaccessible. Thank you for your understanding!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

How to pick sheet name from Directory tool

kauser
8 - Asteroid

hello, 

if i use directory tool for an input file that have multiple tabs then how can i chose sheet name. i connect my Dynamic input tool with directory tool then select the sheet name on Table or Query but its not working. please advice. 

Thank you 

Kauser 

4 REPLIES 4
griffinwelsh
12 - Quasar

@kauser If the sheet name is static you can append it to the filepath with a ||| delimiter. You then feed the fullpath+sheet name into a dynamic input tool. Make sure you change your action to change entire filepath

apathetichell
19 - Altair

If the sheet name is not static - you use chained apps - with app one selecting file. you retrieve sheet names -> app 2 - sheet selection -> input data with  batch macro if needed.

kauser
8 - Asteroid

@griffinwelsh 

Thanks for your response but i am having issue on #3 Table or query from Dynamics Input tool. i chose specific range on Dynamic tool by using #3 Table or query  but somehow i am not getting the results. please advice. 

apathetichell
19 - Altair

Perhaps you should share your workflow or screen shots of the error message and your configuration? See my note. Most likely this is not working because:

1) dynamic input is not designed for changing schema (use a batch macro)

2) your filename/sheetname is wrong (fix it)

3) you need to use chained apps

4) you need to use chained apps and a batch macro

Labels