Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

How to make Data validations in Alteryx similar to excel

Akshay93
5 - Atom

Hi,

I want to create Data validations similar to excel. Refer below screenshot for better understanding :

Akshay93_0-1670587055052.png

After clicking on OK, the highlighted cell can only have values which i have specified like below :

Alteryx community Q Snap.png  

I want similar validation to be applied on column in Alteryx generated output excel.  I know I can do this manually but next day again output file will be over written or new file created and then I will again i have to do this. Is there any way to avoid this doing manually daily ??

Thanks in Advance !!

4 REPLIES 4

Hi @Akshay93 ,

I'm not aware of Alteryx / Excel validation functionality. However, you can build a self-service application. I have a process where a report is generated, the user makes modifications, then uploads the modified report. A second report is then generated (based on her modifications) and sent to her. Would something like this work?

Another option would be to provide all of the drop down validation items in a row with pipes, and the user can delete the ones they don't need (e.g., one|two|three) etc. 

Christina_H
14 - Magnetar

I don't think Alteryx can create Excel data validation, but you can maintain it using the Preserve Formatting option

Christina_H_0-1670599262944.png

For this to work, you need to specify the range you are exporting to

Christina_H_1-1670599329544.png

Christina_H_2-1670599364388.png

I've tried this with some test data, and the data validation remains when the data is overwritten (although you can export something that doesn't meet the validation conditions)

Akshay93
5 - Atom

Thank you  Michelle For your time.

The first part related to report upload will not work as I wanted validation in the WF output itself.

Good idea related to pipe. But again in that case manual work remains.

I guess keeping formatting in output file works as in that case it would be only once that I need to make that validation in excel.
Akshay93
5 - Atom

Hi @christina_H - Thank you for your time.

Yes, preserve formatting option shall work for this. It would be only once that I will need to add validations.

Thanks for the idea !!

Labels