Alert: There is a planned Community maintenance outage October 16th from approximately 10 - 11 PM PST. During this time the Alteryx Community will be inaccessible. Thank you for your understanding!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

How to add nested JSON into Download Payload

markashman
9 - Comet

I am working on an API workflow and for one of the calls I need to pass the following into the body

{

"start": 0,
"limit": 5,
"queries": [

{
"field": "valueString",
"values": [arrayOfStrings],
"matchType": 7
}

]

}

The indentation is not important.

I can ad start & finish tags into the payload directly:

markashman_0-1676478460415.png

But not sure how I add the three nested tags.

Appreciate any help

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
apathetichell
19 - Altair

Hi,

I'd strongly recommend assembling the entire payload body in some combination of formula tool/summary tool/formula tool - and then feeding it as a single value into your download tool's payload body.

basically think of it this way - each record in a download tool is an api tool - not a nested value for your api tool. 30 records in your api body are 1 call  - 1 download tool. 3000 records are 1 call  - 1 download tool- and 10 records means 10 calls. That's probably not what you want - at least on your initial call.

markashman
9 - Comet

Interesting, I have no objection to assembling the payload externally and insert in 1 block, though it does add complexity as 3 of the values are variables which will change dynamically based on a loop. However, I still have no idea how to assemble the nest JSON for injection into the payload, as formula/summary etc do not nest far as I can tell.

apathetichell
19 - Altair

summarize nests. it concatenates - you use /n in concatenation... so basically you need to transpose (or otherwise assign your key name in formula so you have:

'"'+[insert_key_name]+'": "'+[insert_value_here]+'"' then you use summarize in \n mode to get list of keynames:key values - yeah? you can also see if what you have works with json build.

you do not need to include the [ and the ] in your payload - those should be auto-generated. make sure to hard code content_type in your header.

Labels