Join the Alteryx Community’s Maveryx Summer Cup event! Compete, network with others, and earn your gold through a series of challenges from July 24th to August 11th. Learn more about the event here.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

How can I use include multiple files to create a database

tarungupta
5 - Atom

I am trying to create an yearly database from multiple files (4 files each month). I have files available for 8 months (i.e. 32 files available) and then will be adding 4 files each month. How can I achieve this in alteryx. 

Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2
alexnajm
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

This is very vague about the requirements so I can only give a general answer:

1) read in all data - I am assuming they all have the same structure so a wildcard or a directory + dynamic input should work. This article details the options: https://knowledge.alteryx.com/index/s/article/The-Ultimate-Input-Data-Flowchart-1583459854309
1a) if you want to just read them in manually, bring down an input data tool for each file and Union all data together so it’s in one stream

3) Use an Output Data tool to push the data to your database, using the Overwrite Table option so it has a constant refresh of the data

Good luck!

Raj
15 - Aurora

you can try these steps as well

1. Input Data: Use the "Input Data" tool to read the available files for the first 8 months.

2. Union Tool: Connect the "Input Data" tool to a "Union" tool to combine the data from the 8 months.

3. Formula Tool: Use a "Formula" tool to add a new field indicating the month for each record based on the file's source.

4. Output Data: Save the combined data for the first 8 months.

5. Batch Macro: Create a batch macro with an iterative input (one input for each month's data). Connect the output of the batch macro to the union tool.

6. Iterative Macro Input: Configure the iterative input to cycle through the new files each month.

7. Append Data: In the batch macro, use the "Append Fields" tool to combine the new month's data with the existing data.

8. Output Data: Save the updated yearly database.

9. Schedule Workflow: Schedule the workflow to run monthly with the new files.

Labels