Alert: There is a planned Community maintenance outage October 16th from approximately 10 - 11 PM PST. During this time the Alteryx Community will be inaccessible. Thank you for your understanding!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Formula tool

Ainekeenan99
5 - Atom

Hi 

Im trying to write the following into the formula tool - if [bmi] > 24.9 THEN "1" elseif [bmi] < 18.5 THEN "2" else "3" endif

it keeps coming up with the following error - Error: Formula (5): The formula "bmi" resulted in a string but the field is numeric. Use ToNumber(...) if this is correct. (Expression #4)

anyone able to help me?

7 REPLIES 7
Assaf_m
11 - Bolide

try this, removing the double-quotes.

if [bmi] > 24.9 THEN 1 elseif [bmi] < 18.5 THEN 2 else 3 endif

Ainekeenan99
5 - Atom

i removed the quotation marks and it worked but only showing 1 and 3 on data not recognize 2  

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @Ainekeenan99 

As your error message is saying [bmi] is a string datatype but you need to numeric to do numeric compare. 
As the error message suggests you need to use ToNumeric() function.

Formula

if ToNumber([bmi]) > 24.9 THEN "1" 
elseif ToNumber([bmi]) < 18.5 THEN "2" 
else "3" endif

Workflow:

atcodedog05_0-1605442165804.png

If you are facing please reply on the same post i will help you out.

Hope this helps 🙂

If this post helps you please mark it as solution. And give a like if you dont mind 😀👍

Ainekeenan99
5 - Atom

when i put that in it comes up error, when i use this --- if [bmi] > 24.9 THEN 1 elseif [bmi] < 18.5 THEN 2 else 3 endif

there is no error it just will not recognize 2 , so all my data is either 1 or 3 

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hmm thats great

Can you check you data to see if there is any value below 18.5 so that it will be tagged as 2

You can use a filter tool for this.

If you are still facing the issue. You can try this once

if ToNumber([bmi]) > 24.9 THEN 1 
elseif ToNumber([bmi]) >= 18.5 THEN 3 
else 2 endif

If you are still facing issue share me a snapshot where you think value should have been 2.

Will be happy to help 🙂

Ainekeenan99
5 - Atom

thank you for your help 🙂 

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Happy to help 🙂 @Ainekeenan99 

Cheers and Happy Analyzing 😀

Labels