Alert: There is a planned Community maintenance outage October 16th from approximately 10 - 11 PM PST. During this time the Alteryx Community will be inaccessible. Thank you for your understanding!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Formula tool Date rang

Basma_alrubaish
6 - Meteoroid

Hi community,

i would highly appreciate some help with my issue 

i am trying to use a formula tool to calculate the period of six months prior to the date in my input file 

so the input file date is june 30 2024, and i need the formula tool to calculate it back to jan 1 2024, and so on for dec 

is there a way to do that?

6 REPLIES 6
Raj
16 - Nebula

@Basma_alrubaish 
yes this can be done using formula tool.

datetimeformat(DateTimeAdd(DateTimeparse([Date],"%B %d %Y"),-6,"months"),"%B %d %Y")

Basma_alrubaish
6 - Meteoroid

thank you Raj

do you know what formula i can use to get the results? 

if i use DateTimeAdd([Period start ], -180, 'day') it will give me exactly 180 days diff

but i want the start day for june 30 to be jan 1 

and for dec 31 to be june 30 

Raj
16 - Nebula

@Basma_alrubaish Try this.
datetimeformat(DateTimeTrim(DateTimeAdd(DateTimeparse([Date],"%B %d %Y"), -180,'days'), 'month'),"%B %d %Y")

mark done if solved.

Raj
16 - Nebula

@Basma_alrubaish 
find workflow attached for reference

Basma_alrubaish
6 - Meteoroid

is there a way i can use the same initial formula but have the start date fixed as the first date of the month?

DateTimeAdd([Period start], -6, 'months')

Raj
16 - Nebula

@Basma_alrubaish 
this will work
datetimeformat(DateTimeTrim(DateTimeAdd(DateTimeparse([Date],"%B %d %Y"), -5,'months'), 'month'),"%B %d %Y")

Labels