Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Fill Space in URL

ZoeM
8 - Asteroid

Hello Community.

I have a rather simple but interesting issue.

I have URLs coming in and some of them have spaces which is causing my output in QlikView to not function for some of the results.

I am wondering if I can fill those spaces with '%20' but the 20 is falling off and just leaving the percent sign and subsequently causing the URL to not work.

Any ideas how I can do this? I have also tried using the '_' but that also messes the URL up.

Thanks!

8 REPLIES 8
patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@ZoeM in a formula tool, would something like this work? Replace([YourField]," ","%20")

ZoeM
8 - Asteroid

I just tried that and it is not working either. And it is affecting my URL by replacing some of the characters once it loads in QVW, strangely. 

I have tried removing it to see if my characters return in the URL and they do.

Any other thoughts?

OllieClarke
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

If you increase the size of the string using a select tool, does the replace([url],' ','%20') option work?

Jonathan-Sherman
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

That's an interesting one @ZoeM, i'd have thought the formula @patrick_digan and @OllieClarke put forward would be fine? Could you try and replicate the issue on a subset of your data and attach it?

Regards,

Jonathan

ZoeM
8 - Asteroid

So...

When I run the workflow the '20' falls off and I remain with only the '%'. So not sure why that is happening? 

My main issue is that those blank spaces are splitting my URL and is not being recognized. Oh and this is an xml link, I didn't mention that. 

ZoeM
8 - Asteroid

I didnt mention that this is an XML link, doe sit make a difference?

ZoeM
8 - Asteroid

Thanks Team! I have one half the battle. The power of RegEx worked, the below thread was helpful.

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Discussions/Replacing-specific-text-with-a-space/t...

Going to fight the battle now in QVW.

Thanks again

mooreriley1865
5 - Atom

I was facing a similar issue with a hyperlink in an email. Adding double quotes fixed my issue. It did add the quotes in the resulting text, but might try that.

i.e.

"C:\why spaces\" worked for me.

Labels