Important Community update: The process for changing your account details was updated on June 25th. Learn how this impacts your Community experience and the actions we suggest you take to secure your account here.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Dynamic formulas and calculation according to user input

talc_87
6 - Meteoroid

Hi!

I have a dataset which contains several fields.

The user input an excel template and which contains parameters that the dataset is filters according to the user input.

I want to add a calculated field which is calculated according to the user input.
For example if the dataset contains the fields assets and liabilities.

The user to input [assets]/[liabilities]
and the workflow will add a field with the calculation.

possible?

Appreciate the help,Tal

4 REPLIES 4
HomesickSurfer
12 - Quasar

Hi @talc_87 

Here goes...

Workflow attached.  Modify to suit your field names and additional operators, if any.

Capture2.PNG

talc_87
6 - Meteoroid

Thank you

Any chance the formula can be taken from an excel spreadsheet which is used as a template?

Thanks, Tal

HomesickSurfer
12 - Quasar

Hi @talc_87 

Excel formulas and Alteryx formula expressions differ.  I wouldn't see any benefit attempting to do so.

Here's another workflow that may inspire you.  It parses the xlsx xml to return all formulas on Sheet1.

Capture.PNG

AZuc
Alteryx
Alteryx

@talc_87 

Yes, you can take the expression from any source of data. What you'd need to do is adapt the logic @HomesickSurfer mentioned by encapsulating it into a batch macro. Then replace Text Box tool to Control Parameter. 

Take a look on these videos https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Interactive-Lessons/tkb-p/interactive-lessons/label-name/Macros

André Zuccatti

Sales Engineer - LATAM -
Alteryx, Inc.

Labels