Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Dynamic Join Tool

Andyhjtran
6 - Meteoroid

Hi,

So I have a join tool in my Alteryx Workflow with pre-selected columns. If I were to update one of the data inputs with differing columns, is there anyway to dynamically change this columns selected within the join tool?

For example, I have configured the join tool to take column A from the Left Join tool. I change the data input where Column A does not exist. However, it is replaced by Column B which is what I want in the join tool. How can I make the join tool automatically change from Column A to Column B? Because currently, it will say Column A is missing and Column B won't be ticked/included in the output of the join tool.

Thank you in advance.

4 REPLIES 4
Qiu
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@Andyhjtran 
We can use a Input Text for the Fixed Columns, then use Dynamic Rename to Unify the column names.

In this way, the downstream join tool will not be affected even the columns of input changes.

Capture3A.PNG

Andyhjtran
6 - Meteoroid

Hi Qiu,

Thank you for your help.

The issue with this is that there are about 10-15 different columns per input data file, and since the column titles are unique and important, I wouldn't want to be override with some preset input text.

apathetichell
18 - Pollux

Basically you are looking for a way to set up a user defined join - no? It's doable but there are two ways:

1) limited dimensions - You have to figure out how many dimensions the join is on beforehand...  Assuming both sides of the join are customizable you'd need two drop down menus for each dimension. The drop-down menus go into actions and go into the join. This is easier to implement.

2) A  full or mostly full join - you'd use a listbox to select fields and then feed that into a transpose tool. The join would be only on name - but name would include all fields selected in the listboxes. harder to implement.

Qiu
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@Andyhjtran 
Then maybe you can replace some of the Fix* to your real column names.

Labels