Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Dynamic Input

KateC
8 - Asteroid

I have a workflow that writes output to an Excel file. Every day, it appends a new worksheet with a dynamic sheetname (today's date -1 business day (unless there's a bank holiday involved)).  I need to be able to then use this most recent worksheet as input when I run the workflow on the next business day. So I need to dynamically input the most recent file (which I know how to do) and the most recent worksheet (this is where I'm stuck). Especially since I can't really just apply a formula that says "hey grab the worksheet with yesterday's date" since the date might not actually be yesterday. Any suggestions?

4 REPLIES 4
ShankerV
17 - Castor

Hi @KateC 

Can I know which country's bank holiday you are considering, so that I can input the same as a separate input and link to the existing workflow.

Shanker V 

KateC
8 - Asteroid

I'm using USA bank holidays

Felipe_Ribeir0
16 - Nebula

Hi @KateC 

After selecting the most recent file, you can use the dynamic input tool or the batch input macro to get all sheet names inside of that file

Felipe_Ribeir0_0-1668014412720.png

After that, you can build some logic to filter just the most recent sheet (it depends of the pattern of names of the sheets).

The attached example do something similar using the batch macro instead of the dynamic input tool.

apathetichell
19 - Altair

and to get the most recent file - you can use a directory tool - sort descending on creation time, and then sample 1. This will give you the most recent file (presumably yesterday). - you can then feed this file in via a batch macro.

Labels