Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Difficulty connecting to DB with Input Data tool

mnmemilymnm
8 - Asteroid

I typically query my company's databases using the Input Data tool. (I don't have write privileges, so I don't use the gray In-DB tools -- only the green Input Data tool.) Before I recently upgraded to Alteryx 2021.2, in the SQL Server Database Connection pop-up window, after I selected the connection name and host (the name of our server), I had an option to "Click Test to populate list with available databases." I liked this Test button because I could find the relevant database and point my SQL query to that database, avoiding the need to write long database prefixes and table names without aliases (e.g. DataWarehouse.dbo.DimensionTable....). Now that I've upgraded to Alteryx 2021.2, this Test button is no longer there under the Windows Authentication option. I see it under the SQL Authentication option, but I always authenticate with my Windows credentials, and that's where I'm used to seeing the Test button appear. Does anyone have any advice? How can I point to a specific database if this Test button isn't there? Writing "USE [Database Name]; GO" at the top of my query doesn't work in Alteryx like it does in SQL Server Management Studio.

mnmemilymnm_0-1652476150432.png

5 REPLIES 5
AkimasaKajitani
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @mnmemilymnm 

Did you try to click OK button before clicking the test button?

At least, I clicked it before clicking the test button, it worked for me. It seems that it is not needed to select the default database.

mnmemilymnm
8 - Asteroid

Thanks @AkimasaKajitani ! That worked. I don't know how Alteryx knew which database I wanted to query from. Maybe because I've queried from it in the past? But either way, it worked!

AkimasaKajitani
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @mnmemilymnm 

It seems the Visual Query Builder shows all database that the connected server has.

AkimasaKajitani_0-1652746397106.png

Owensmb
5 - Atom

I have same exact issue and I do not follow the solution to click OK first.  Once i click OK i cannot go back and select database so everything i do ends up in the Master Database.

whittenbergd
6 - Meteoroid

I also have this problem.  How do I choose a non-default database on the server?  The Store Procedure tab on the Input-Data Tool only shows stored procedures for the connection's selected database (i.e. the default database).

Labels