Join the Alteryx Community’s Maveryx Summer Cup event! Compete, network with others, and earn your gold through a series of challenges from July 24th to August 11th. Learn more about the event here.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Converting String to Number Results in Negative Numbers becoming zero

jaypee1217
7 - Meteor

Hi I'm brand new to Alteryx and am having issues converting a string column to values. Snip below of my columns and the resulting output.

- Transactions Amount column is the original string value

- Removed $ column is result of:  ReplaceChar([Transaction Amount],"$",""), but still makes this a string data

- Converted Amount column is result of a Tonumber function I found: tonumber(replacechar(trim(regex_replace([Transaction Amount],"^-0{1,}",'-'),"0"),"$,",""),1)

- Converted Removed $ column is me applying the Tonumber function to the Removed $ column thinking the $ character is  what was messing it up. 

Additionally when I use the select tool and change from tring to double, the negative amounts go to null as well

jaypee1217_1-1668183542358.png

4 REPLIES 4
gautiergodard
13 - Pulsar

Hello @jaypee1217 

I believe the attached is what you are looking to do!

gautiergodard_0-1668184503052.png

DanFlint
8 - Asteroid

Hi @jaypee1217,

Try this formula:

IF StartsWith([Removed $],'(')
THEN ToNumber('-' + REGEX_Replace([Removed $],'\((\d+.*\d*)\)','$1'))
ELSE ToNumber([Removed $])
ENDIF

DanFlint_1-1668184961809.png

You could also nest the logic to remove the '$' sign into this formula if you wanted to keep it all in one.

Hope this helps!

jaypee1217
7 - Meteor

thank you! your simplified ToNumb function worked! I just need to try and next this together now. 

jaypee1217
7 - Meteor

Thanks Dan! gautiergodard's function worked when i loaded it. going to try and nest it together now. 

Labels