Alert: There is a planned Community maintenance outage October 16th from approximately 10 - 11 PM PST. During this time the Alteryx Community will be inaccessible. Thank you for your understanding!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Bucketing data into grouping of common characteristics

jeff_ard
6 - Meteoroid

Hello!

I have a list of SKUs.  Each SKU is assigned to multiple sources. (The data goes down - each SKU will repeat for each source).  I need to "bucket" the SKUs into groupings that all have an identical source list.

I have accomplished this by sorting the data by Source, then using summation to concatenate the sources to make a key.  This is far from an ideal solution as there are over 100 sources for a SKU in some cases.

Is there a more elegant approach?  I am hoping this one is as simple as a tool I don't know about! I don't like thousand character concatenated strings as keys!

*I explained the simple problem above - but the actual problem involves multiple "group by" fields and this assessment must be made in each grouping.  Think of each SKU being in a category, and each category being in a region.

I will make some sample data and upload the working concatenate if this one proves to be more complex than a quick answer!

Thanks everyone!

5 REPLIES 5
T_Willins
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar

Hi @jeff_ard,

You should be able to group by more than one field in a Summarize tool.  Order matters, so think of each group by as an expand of the group by above it.  In your case I think you would want to group by source, then group by SKU.  If you need further assistance a sample data set would be helpful.

jeff_ard
6 - Meteoroid

Thanks for the reply!

Unless I am missing a use of the summarize tool (which is quite possible), I don't think this will quite solve it.

I attached a sample flow - this flow does have the intended result - but I am very concerned with scalability of this solution.

T_Willins
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar

Hi @jeff_ard,

Your workflow actually works well for what you are trying to do, which is different than what I first thought.  Attached is your workflow and how I was seeing if I could make it more efficient - but I think yours works just as well. In the workflow Comment box you mention you want to rename each analysis group. If I understand what you are looking for, the last two tools do that. 

jeff_ard
6 - Meteoroid

Tiny concern with cross tabbing 10,000 SKUs across - but we will see what happens. This gave me a few new tools to play with to try other ways. Thanks for the help!

T_Willins
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar

Hi @jeff_ard,

If you are running into problems with the cross-tab, you might be able to break up the data and use a batch macro to process the data in chunks.

Labels