Important Community update: The process for changing your account details was updated on June 25th. Learn how this impacts your Community experience and the actions we suggest you take to secure your account here.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Apply Sheet Name in the Render Tool

KamenRider
11 - Bolide

Hi,

I am having problem of providing a sheet name to a render tool and it gives me an of "invalid supported format" whenever I include it in the formula tool containing the destination of the file. Can someone to please help how to include "Page1" as its sheet name.

Here some screenshots for your reference.

file structure.PNG

file structure2.PNG

file structure3.PNG

Hoping to hear from someone.

Thanks,

Kamen

10 REPLIES 10
Raj
15 - Aurora

@KamenRider  are you adding your page 1 in this format?
"C:\Path\To\Your\File.xlsx|||Page1"

AGilbert
11 - Bolide

Try this blog post. 

How to Render to Multiple Named Excel Sheets - Alteryx Community

Looks like you need to group your basic table tool upstream to have the option available in the render tool. But I only scanned the post. 

Raj
15 - Aurora

@KamenRider 

Here’s a simplified example of the steps in Alteryx:

Input Data Tool (connect to your data)
Formula Tool (create a new field FilePath with the value "C:\Path\To\Your\File.xlsx|||Page1")
Render Tool (set the output to [FilePath] and choose Excel format)

AGilbert
11 - Bolide

@Raj the syntax we use for the output tool does not work with the render tool. Something I didn't know until I read the blog post linked above. Thanks for teaching me something new today @KamenRider!

KamenRider
11 - Bolide

HI @Raj 

I already tried that. Kindly see the error I got.

resave.PNG

resave2.PNG

resave3.PNG

Is there any other way. Kindly show me the way please.

Kamen

Raj
15 - Aurora

@AGilbert thank you for bringing this to my attention.
@KamenRider kindky try referring to the link attached above.

AGilbert
11 - Bolide

@KamenRider The link that I posted above is the solution. In summary, you'll need to move the concatenation of the tab names further upstream (prior to the table tool). Configure the table tool to group by the tab names, add a layout tool (config: orientation = vertical w/ section breaks, section = tab names), and then send to the render tool. The blog post has great screen shots which will help. 

binuacs
20 - Arcturus

@KamenRider one way of doing this

image.png

apathetichell
18 - Pollux

Follow @binuacs advice. Render creates a single excel file. You cannot specify a sheet in the tool itself - sheet creation has to be upstream in the layout tool - and you'd need the sheet in a specific column in order to use layout correcly. Often you will want to use some combination of union/summarize (or summarize/union/summarize/union - etc) to combine your report snippets in the layout you want. 

Labels