Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Adding the current date to the file

Luk88kk
8 - Asteroid

Hello,
I have a file which has duplicates. My task is to remove the duplicates and overwrite the file. I would also like to save the original file with the duplicates (historical data), adding today's date to each. So in a workflow I would have to do 2 things:
- before I delete the duplicates save the file in another location by adding today's date to the file title;
- remove the duplicates from the original file and overwrite it.

So far I have been doing this manually. Is there any way to automate this. Thank you in advance.

6 REPLIES 6
binuacs
20 - Arcturus

@Luk88kk 

binuacs_0-1646314657297.png

Luk88kk
8 - Asteroid

Hello @binuacs,

Thank you very much for your help.

However, could you please tell me where exactly I should enter the information about where I want the original file to be saved? Should I use the Text Input Tool and then the Append Fields Tool to achieve this. Or is there another way
I am trying to figure this out but I am getting errors.

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @Luk88kk 

For original you can just add the path at the beginning in the input tool. You can also use the input tool browse functionality to browse to the location where you want to overwrite.

atcodedog05_0-1646393500660.png

Hope this helps : )

Luk88kk
8 - Asteroid

Hi @atcodedog05 

Thank you for the hint.

But please tell me what about the earlier output "test_original" (3)?

Luk88kk_0-1646397394787.png

I noticed that if we use "./" - the file will automatically be saved where the workflow is saved. However, I would like the file to be saved in a separate folder.

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @Luk88kk 

You need to add the full path here in the formula too.

atcodedog05_0-1646398127171.png

Hope this helps : )

binuacs
20 - Arcturus

@Luk88kk updated the workflow with some documentation for better understanding

binuacs_0-1646399469564.png

Labels